GTX titan or GTX 690 or something AMD

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
so i has some money to kill and i been looking at titan vs 690 , now i never had dual GPU setup before and, my PSU is limited its HX650W and by looking at SLI 680s noise and power consumption seems be full on and whats more full on is HD 7970s Crossfire even use more power and even LOUDER!!

so what do i do? i'm liking titan but everyone says it main use is for 3 monitor setup, and i only play on 1 monitor and have small TV screen as monitoring screen (120hz Samsung 3D), issue is tho i don't like how my GTX 580 gets super hot with 2 screens , i live in Australia so its gets hot here. and this new tech boost 2.0 is very nice , but there is problem with micro-shutting with SLI and crossfire, and i don't think i want micro-shutting i don't know if il notice it and honestly 690 looks be cheaper then titan

also i has i5 2500k CPU if i get titan or 690 suggest i OC it? i has try to oc it once before but constant high volts static makes me annoyed i want it to be dynamic and drop were there is no load but issues is i am unable figure out how do that soons i up voltage it goes static!!! and constant high voltage and im not happy with that i want high voltage only be use under load.

Asus maximums Forumla z77 Mobo

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I know its not a direct answer but my SLI 680s are very cool and very quiet and use less power then advertised too. Check them out if its an option to you. My cards have the Twin Frozr setups from MSI. They kick ass. I run 2 MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr 4GB with a very mild OC from the factory, a 2700k clocked at 5.2Ghz, an H100 cooler, and then some on a 650 watt PSU and it loves it for hours on end. Its a Seasonic X650 Gold though so some comparison may be necessary. Im sure a PSU guy could answer that easily for you.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Also Im positive that my 2 cards would show up a 690. Im not going to comment on the Titan because I havent researched them much. But I would be very surprised if a single card could outperform 2 680s.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
that;s my problem they all say good for 3 monitors or 1600p , and i only have 3d 120hz@1080p 27 sammy , though i i wanna max out crysis 3 with max aa , and il be one of so called "elite" few with a titan in my rig, the idea alone makes me think how great i feel waking up to this beast of a card used in super computer..

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
also its new card so current benchmarks and FPS in games are subject to change once better drivers come out for titan at moment all titan has since last drivers for nv
is added SLI profile not a performance increase, so next drivers should incresse the overall performance of titan in Crysis 3, would hope so probly be able get 40 stable fps in high firefights with max AA max settings on titan, i do plan to overclock the *** out of it, with out voltage tweaking to keep lifespan

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Lmao i hear ya bud. Keep in mind too that actually 19,000 of those chips are used in that super computer! Which I guess makes sense if you need to render the universe! But hey honestly. My two 680s, which are very beast, will push Crysis 3 at about 50 frames at 2560x1440 single monitor, will every single thing maxed out. The thing is with the Titan the graphic power can be used no problem but the amount of ram is whats silly high.

Choosing between 680s, 690, and Titan is a great problem to have!

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
You should be about there or higher at all times on a single monitor. And you know what, in my opinion anyway, having extra ram is another problem I wouldnt mind having. Thats why I bought 4GB 680s. In case games start using more ram. People tweaking the heck out of Skyrim can max 4gb on a 1080p monitor so who knows what game makers will throw at us this year or next.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
well apparently titian can OC to 690 after googleing and some more... due to nature of the architecture, point of titan is about target temps (80c) and then you oc it pushing it to 690 level and what new boost 2.0 does is that it will set fan at static speed to and figure out what fan speed u need to get target temp 80c with current OC, also if i chose to do so.. volt tweak max it they said u can max the offset volt tweak and wont do anything bad but will reduce lifespan as all OC does and just push OC even more, and fans will still aim for target temp of 80c and if it gets too hot or too much is will auto drop the OC to standard or Slightly OC, what that means is you can't kill the titan easly it has too many features to be able to stuff up OCing it and if you want super NO noise u can downclock and push fans at 30% and still target 80C on max load idle.. fan full load downclocked... just insane tech

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
i also has stronge feeling GTX 780 still wont beat titan... they has made hints that titan will be king of single GPU untill maxwell , true i dont know but way i see it is that they made it clear the production of titan will be long one and stay on market and continue drop in price so.. sli path of titans will smash 790 :/... and then talk about 4k ... titan would be ideal due to its vram.. being 6gbs all i need to do is sli titan and bang... 4k max settings... wile 690 limited to its vram will suffer in quad

As shown by some videos and new methods of testing, FPS isn't the end all be all of testing. Watching new videos is showing that often times a slower card can produce a smoother experience. This throws a whole new wrinkle to the question of what is best to get.

It is being shown that Nvidia cards are producing smoother game play, especially when comparing SLI to CF, but what produces the best experience, a single Titan or a 690 that uses SLI? That is a tough question.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

that is point... its very tough to know what produce best experience

For me, a big part of what makes a game smooth is how responsive it is. Reducing latency between moving the mouse and what is displayed. Higher FPS generally improves this for me, but given how SLI and Crossfire may not be reducing latency linearly due to the way AFR works, that has me wondering. Would Titan not reduce latency more than a 690? If so, would it not smoother feeling, even with lower total FPS?

With AFR, every other frame is rendered by a different card, but it still takes the same time as a single card to render each frame, unless some predicting is used. This may mean that Titan would feel the most responsive and be the smoothest due to not needing SLI. (I do find SLI does seem to improve responsiveness, so I imagine some form or predicting must be used).

I have no benchmarks that test this to show, this is just based on educated guessing.

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

You sure arent the only one that feels that way too believe me. But luckily they are doing a great job with dual card setups lately. I was pretty nervous but after some reading i decided to take the plunge. Im very happy with my SLI set up

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
*bump* so i think im going get titan but a EVGA one for warranty reasons i'm looking at $1174 aussie so yeah little pricey over USA one but i get it local so no warranty issues !! just waiting for stock there is no ETA on Titan so.. idk how long be waiting for seems like stock is low V.V

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
OK NOW IM STUCK AGAIN!!! i came to conclusion that GTX 680 in SLI is not as good as AMD 7970 CF ... this is true? coz i can price it at $800 for 2 HD7970s ..!! with 60+ stable frames in crysis 3 with max everything!!!! with max AA!! .. this is just soo hard....

I would not agree, some would, read and watch videos. With crossfire, at least without v-sync on, doesn't exactly deliver as smooth of frames:
http://techreport.com/blog/24415/a
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Performance-Review-and-Frame-Rating-Update/Frame-Rat
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Part-2-Finding-and-Defining-Stutter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcq6IQz-sM&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Md1Xpwq1X0&feature=player_embedded

Higher frames is one thing, whether those frames are smooth is another.

Quote:
"Looking at other contenders for a moment, you'll find that you simply don't need a GTX 680 2-way SLI when you can just buy a GTX 690 that runs quieter and saves an expansion slot because the price-performance ratio of a 3-way GTX 680 configuration is bad. AMD's HD 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire setup has its moments, but flunks far too many tests due to poor multi-GPU driver optimizations by AMD."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_SLI/24.html

perfrel_1920.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_SLI/22.html

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

hmm that is interesting graph but lets put it this way!!
GTX690 $1149.00
GTX 680 SLI $1098.00
GTX Titan SC $1179.00
HD7970 CF $800

honestly... i'm stuck in a hard place at moment with all these setups, i don't wanna shoot my self in foot and get 680s due to its 256bit, every time i look at 680 i think something is not right!!!!....i think i came to conclusion GTX 680 has no weight anymore on terms of it being hardcore... or just superduper

Honestly, what you are agonizing over is a few FPS one way or the other. What I would be concerned about is that part of the quote from the review:
"...flunks far too many tests due to poor multi-GPU driver optimizations by AMD."
This is an issue that has been documented over and over, it's real, and should also be a consideration besides your concerns about a few FPS.

One thing comes to mind, for those 7970 prices you listed, are those for the GHZ version, or the vanilla version? This is something people tend to get mixed up with AMD's confusing naming schemes. They are not the same. In the end, it's your money so make sure you get it right before you pull the trigger on an expensive investment.

perfdollar_1920.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan_SLI/23.html