New graphics card $300 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metzler

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hello,

Looking to buy a new graphics card. I've filled out below, but let me know if you need anymore information!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP BUDGET RANGE: 300 W/ rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [SC2, Natural Selection 2, Dota 2, Crusader Kings 2, World of Tanks, Crysis, Farcry], & Netflix)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: current GPU is Geforce GT 220, but it is dying. Power Supply is COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 full specs here: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: My motherboard is ASUS m4A78LT-M LE (full specs are here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M4A78LTM_LE/#specifications ), and I have 4 gigs of DDR3-1333 RAM.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I’ve used NewEgg, and Directron, but really no preference as long as they ship to the US for cheap.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: NO SLI OR CROSSFIRE: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am worried about bottlenecks since the CPU is 4 years old, and I only have 4 gigs RAM.

Solution

Yes, mostly yes. Everything is very playable on my setup (weaker card than GTX 660Ti, and slightly stronger CPU than yours), but my i3 does limit my video card sometimes. If you want a perfectly balanced machine, I'd say pick up an HD 7770, but that's way below your budget - go big for the GTX 660Ti or HD 7950 and worry about upgrading your mobo/CPU/RAM later.
4 years is a long time to ride on a desktop for Far Cry and Crysis.

I think you need to up your budget if you want to play with High quality. The CPU is way outdated(based on your mobo) and you'll need to drop around $500 to rock Far Cry 3. (unless you play Far Cry 1)

Look for a FX-6300 + Extreme 3. then buy a 7870.

Metzler

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Honestly I’m more of a real time strategy player over first person shooters, so I just am looking for decent frames per sec there, rather than rocking out on high settings. In regards to the CPU, I don’t really want to overhaul the comp, I just want to extend its life. It sounds like I should go with the GTX 660Ti. Thank you guys!

No way, don't waste your money on FX - you'll barely get 10% performance over your current CPU.

You can extrapolate the PII 945 vs. the FX-6300 performance from this chart:

CPU_01.png

am102392

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Said he was looking for a new graphics card.......I informed him that I am happy with the 7950 which I purchased for 320....calm your tits bro. Not irreverent at all broski.

am102392

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Said he was looking for a new graphics card.......I informed him that I am happy with the 7950 which I purchased for 320....calm your tits bro. Not irreverent at all broski.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know AMD chips that well but it's probably a safe assumption that if your processesor is 4 years old, any $300 video card you buy will help but your processor will limit your FPS. My i3-3220 was leaving FPS on the table with my GTX 560 TI and my HD 5870.

If you are currrently running the game and just want it to run better a new card will probably help.
If you plan on moving that new card to a new system in a year or so then $300 probably isn't a bad way to go.
If you want this $300 card to make your 4 year old system play new games at pretty settings for years to come, it isn't likely to happen. You're better off looking for used or a lower end card. I can't recommend what would pair up best with your cpu though.

my 2 cents anyway.

Yes, mostly yes. Everything is very playable on my setup (weaker card than GTX 660Ti, and slightly stronger CPU than yours), but my i3 does limit my video card sometimes. If you want a perfectly balanced machine, I'd say pick up an HD 7770, but that's way below your budget - go big for the GTX 660Ti or HD 7950 and worry about upgrading your mobo/CPU/RAM later.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS