Digitizing vinyl records

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
November 24, 2004 10:06:33 AM

Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 11:18:38 AM

"Michael" wrote ...
> Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
> can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
> Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.

There are so many choices it is difficult to recomend anything
without a better description of your requirements. If you are
just asking about recording wav or MP3 files, there are likely
a dozen choices, many free. If you need more (like noise
removal, etc.) that is a different matter. But we can't read your
mind at this distance.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:02:44 PM

Michael <audioguy021@netscape.net> wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
>can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
>Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.

We hear that CD Wave does a good job.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Related resources
November 24, 2004 5:29:11 PM

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10q9d31a6c2gsc2@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Michael" wrote ...
> > Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
> > can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
> > Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.
>
> There are so many choices it is difficult to recomend anything
> without a better description of your requirements. If you are
> just asking about recording wav or MP3 files, there are likely
> a dozen choices, many free. If you need more (like noise
> removal, etc.) that is a different matter. But we can't read your
> mind at this distance.

I am just looking to go straight to mp3. Good quality, 192Kbps. There
is no reason to go to cd. I would like something that takes out some
pop, but not too much filtering.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 5:47:23 PM

"Michael" wrote ...
> I am just looking to go straight to mp3. Good quality, 192Kbps.
> There is no reason to go to cd. I would like something that takes
> out some pop, but not too much filtering.

Spend a few quality milliseconds with Google searching for
terms like MP3 recording, pop/noise reduction, etc. You will
have enough to study to keep you busy during the entire 4-day
weekend.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 6:44:57 PM

On 24 Nov 2004 07:06:33 -0800, audioguy021@netscape.net (Michael)
wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
>can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
>Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.

Well, they claim that their software has a bad attitude, so if I were
you I'd look elsewhere. There are dozens of freeware and shareware
applications out there. Just Google

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:45:09 AM

In article <4aff065e.0411240706.27db1bbd@posting.google.com>,
audioguy021@netscape.net (Michael) wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
> can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
> Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.

I used "Coaster" on my Mac (OS 9). Minimalist, and free. And, it can
separate the tracks on a disk into separate files (if the disk is
*really* clean, anyway).

iTunes for conversion to MP3; it has one of the best encoders around.
And it's free.

And if you happen to need an audio editor to clean things up a bit, take
a look at "Audacity", also free.

Isaac
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:49:19 PM

"Michael" <audioguy021@netscape.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
4aff065e.0411240706.27db1bbd@posting.google.com...
> Can anyone suggest a good application to convert vinyl to digital. It
> can be either PC or Macintosh platform. My preference would be for
> Macintosh. Currently I am looking into Rogue Amoeba.

Have a look here:
http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

My way of doing things + many links to
similar web pages talking about the
digitizing of LPs. And also many links to
various software. (Including some for Mac)

--
Allen Reny
http://www.a-reny.com