Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computer HATE my router?

Last response: in Networking
April 13, 2012 3:21:53 AM

This sounds like a weird problem. That is because it is. I am generally knowledgeable when it comes to computers and networking, but I am simply stumped on this one.

My motherboard is a MSI P67A-GD65. Its onboard ethernet chip is a 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' according to Local Area Connection status. The router in question is a Belkin Wireless N router (F5D8231-4 v3000). I am running Windows 7 Home x64. I have the latest drivers for the ethernet chip.

The problem is this: My computer simply refuses to have anything to do with that router. Ever. If I directly connect it by ethernet cable, I won't be able to use anything. It's like the DHCP is broken or something. With my current network setup, I should be able to access it through the network at the IP 192.168.2.1 (the network setup, by the way, is Internet<--Modem<--Network Switch<--router, all other computers connected to the switch). It can not connect. Pinging results in a timeout. It absolutely refuses to acknowledge that the router exists. Now, when I have my computer is plugged into the switch, everything is fine. I can even connect to my modem's config page (192.168.1.254) and it loads up just fine. However, anything which goes through the router in any way is just invisible to my computer. This problem does not occur with any other computer on the network. I've tried different driver versions, the latest ones and the ones that come with my motherboard. They have either resulted in completely breaking the ethernet or not fixing the problem. I should probably try an Ubuntu livecd to see if it recognizes anything with that, which it probably will unless it is a serious hardware problem, but that won't really help me on Windows.

I am about to go crazy from this problem. Someone please help me find out what the hell is going on.

More about : computer hate router

April 13, 2012 3:58:20 AM

Haha! That's a nice and hilarious way to describe their "love hate relationship". I was wondering if you might wanna go mac filter your router to accept that NIC Mac of yours? Since it's been friendzoned.. Im not too sure what's going on here either. Please let me know if you find the remedy!
April 20, 2012 10:05:48 PM

I have done some research, and I am not sure why it is happening. Others have had this problem, but their experiences are always slightly different. I've determined that a workaround is the only viable course of action, but I don't know how I would do it. I want to route all traffic on the 192.168.2.x subnet to and from my computer through another computer on the network. Is this even possible? I'd THINK that it would work if I did that.
Related resources
April 20, 2012 10:23:37 PM

Connect the Modem to Router and then the switch to the router not the modem.
April 20, 2012 10:45:50 PM

That is more or less what I did when I first hooked up my computer. As I have said, it does not work when directly connected to the router or indirectly connected.
!