Problem with ER Season Pass?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
April 22, 2005 1:58:19 PM

I've got a season pass for ER on my DirecTivo Series 1 -- it's set to
record new episodes, only. Last night was a new episode, but it didn't
record. I can't figure out what happened -- I noticed it only after the
show started, so I couldn't check the ToDo list. It does appear in the list
for future new episodes. The program description indicated that it was a
new episode.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

More about : problem season pass

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:06:23 PM

On 2005-04-22, PTravel <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote:
> I've got a season pass for ER on my DirecTivo Series 1 -- it's set to
> record new episodes, only. Last night was a new episode, but it didn't
> record. I can't figure out what happened -- I noticed it only after the
> show started, so I couldn't check the ToDo list. It does appear in the list
> for future new episodes. The program description indicated that it was a
> new episode.
>
> Any ideas?

My best guess is this show guide information doesn't contain an 'Original
Air Date' tag so TiVo didn't know what to do. It would appear that TiVo
assumes all shows are re-runs if there is no 'Original Air Date' flag.

I wonder how often that assumption is correct vs. incorrect. I would
consider this a bug in the scheduler; I would think it better to record
unknown re-runs than to potentially miss real new-runs.
April 23, 2005 3:40:56 AM

> My best guess is this show guide information doesn't contain an 'Original
> Air Date' tag so TiVo didn't know what to do. It would appear that TiVo
> assumes all shows are re-runs if there is no 'Original Air Date' flag.

That is what happened. I noticed that my DirecTiVo wasn't set to record ER
even after I saw an ad showing a new episode coming up. So I checked the
program info and there was no air date listed. Luckily, it was before 10,
so I was able to add it to the list in time.

"Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-04-22, PTravel <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote:
> > I've got a season pass for ER on my DirecTivo Series 1 -- it's set to
> > record new episodes, only. Last night was a new episode, but it didn't
> > record. I can't figure out what happened -- I noticed it only after the
> > show started, so I couldn't check the ToDo list. It does appear in the
list
> > for future new episodes. The program description indicated that it was
> > new episode.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> My best guess is this show guide information doesn't contain an 'Original
> Air Date' tag so TiVo didn't know what to do. It would appear that TiVo
> assumes all shows are re-runs if there is no 'Original Air Date' flag.
>
> I wonder how often that assumption is correct vs. incorrect. I would
> consider this a bug in the scheduler; I would think it better to record
> unknown re-runs than to potentially miss real new-runs.
April 24, 2005 3:05:41 PM

It's no doubt due to NBC's screwing around with the start times. I
specifically don't bother to watch the programs that do this. I'll wait for
them in reruns on a different network instead of putting up with their
advertising-driven abuse.

"PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> I've got a season pass for ER on my DirecTivo Series 1 -- it's set to
> record new episodes, only. Last night was a new episode, but it didn't
> record. I can't figure out what happened -- I noticed it only after the
> show started, so I couldn't check the ToDo list. It does appear in the
list
> for future new episodes. The program description indicated that it was a
> new episode.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:18:17 AM

PTravel wrote:
> it didn't record. I can't figure out what happened
> Any ideas?

Have you tried asking your TiVo why it did what it did?

DirecTV/TiVo button -> 2 -> Select = View Recording History.

-Joe
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:29:27 AM

In article <G9CdnSJnV69bKPbfRVn-1w@speakeasy.net>,
"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's no doubt due to NBC's screwing around with the start times. I
> specifically don't bother to watch the programs that do this. I'll wait for
> them in reruns on a different network instead of putting up with their
> advertising-driven abuse.

Some programs are edited to make them shorter to allow for more
commercials when in reruns.
!