MSI 7950 TWIN FROZER

grassyuk

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Are the New MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Edition's good? Compared to the old non boost ones?

I've heard some stuff about some having a 7970 pcb (6pin +8pin) not really sure what that does but i assume it's better.

The newer ones are built on a 7970's PCB. They may be better overclockers, but I really haven't seen any proof of it. Mine is the 6+8 version as well. :)

grassyuk

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Would you recommend the card? i can get one for £235 on sale and they are going fast.

Thanks
ALso i play games like BF3, Arma 2, Arma 3 etc.

Unless there is a major issue that users are discussing then it's likely fine. The HD7950 is a good value.

1) I'm not sure were you buy from, but make sure you get the two games included as digital download coupons (Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite).

2) I recommend you TWEAK where necessary to get higher frame rates rather than just crank up the quality (I tweak for 60FPS, sometimes 50FPS where possible.)

3) Get RadeonPro. It's quite useful:
- can force 50FPS instead of 60FPS sometimes
- AA when game doesn't support it (Mass Effect 1)
- VSYNC when game doesn't support it (Witcher 1)

4) The REST of your system will also affect how well games will run. (CPU and RAM primarily).

5) BF3. Turn off the "deferred AA" setting. It causes a horrible muddiness to the scene, especially in dark areas.

grassyuk

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Ok thanks, i'm basically buying this card just for arma 3 and i want it to run well. i have an i5 2500k at 4.3ghz and 8gb ram

It sounds like you can opt-in for the Alpha of Arma III for $33 which lets you test if desired but also gets you the full version for cheaper than the $50 on release:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/107410/

Arma III is a modern, demanding game requiring a good CPU, enough and fast enough RAM, and a good Graphics Card. I tried to play Arma 2 on an HD5870 and it didn't play well.