Sign in with
Your question

LAN starts hanging windows explorer

Last response: in Networking
April 13, 2012 5:44:19 AM

I have some issues with win 7 64 bit pro. I have 3 computers on a cat 5 wired home LAN using a DGL-4500 router and in yhe same homegroup. All are gigabit capable. 2 are regular PCs, one is an HTPC. All have the latest drivers.

1) File transfers never exceed 12% of the network capacity.

2) If I transfer from computer A to computer B's public folder, I can transfer 1GB in a few minutes. However, if I attempt to copy/paste a file from Computer B's public folder to computer A, computer A takes forever "discovering" the file, then gives some absurd transfer time, say 11 hours for the same file.

3) If however I go to computer B and paste the same file into Computer A's public folder, the transfer takes only a few minutes.

4) If at any point during scenario #2 I right-click B's public folder from A during a transfer, I get the spinning circle forever which 90% of the time results in Explorer hanging and requiring the process to be killed/restarted.

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing these issues?
April 13, 2012 11:13:43 AM

Check computer A drive for errors. Try to stress the drive to check results
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:27:29 PM

Tested all drives with HDTune Pro, all tests plus error scan. All check OK.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2012 2:00:35 PM

Bump. Had another Explorer lockup-crash-restart. Can't transfer files to the other computer without a system restart.

This is definitely not a drive issue, this has something to do with the network settings or LAN itself. Something is getting "confused".
m
l
April 15, 2012 5:41:30 PM

Ok, partially solved. The speed issue is fixed, I now max out the Gigabit connection. I disabled all of the offload features in the NIC settings and ran speedguide.net's tcp optimizer. Now it transfers about a GB in around a minute.

It still locks up with a right-click on the network drive and other things though.
m
l
!