Btmarshville

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hello,
My computer wouldn't boot up and I used a Dell bootable disk. It booted back up, but now it says my windows 7 is not genuine. How do I get this off?

game junky

Distinguished

Agreed - if the OS was pre-installed by Dell, it's likely an OEM license. If you purchased a retail copy, the key is likely on a sheet inside the DVD case or on a sticker on the sleeve depending on whether you bought it from a retailer or from Microsoft directly.

Btmarshville

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

No - my computer is an HP desktop. I've had trouble booting up this computer before and had to reinstall everything after it crashed. I ordered the dell boot-up disk from Amazon and apparently it installed a bootleg copy of windows 7 on my computer when I used it. Will I have to reinstall it back to the factory status?

game junky

Distinguished

See if you have a license key on a sticker on your chassis - you might be able to reuse the key, but it might require a call to MS.

Come on - are you serious? If you are - you need report it to Amazon and get your money back and the supplier banned. Amazon is not e-bay... (or wasnt when I last checked).

I smell a rat!!

Cheers