Ati radeon 5700

Ash262

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I'm having a problem with my graphics card. Up until now I have been using a standard vga driver as the radeon driver causes a black screen at my desktop (after loading windows 7x64, i get a black screen). The vga driver worked well up until recently when my display would turn off after 5 min and after trying to reset display times to never in power options, it still turned off. I would like to use my radeon graphics card but can't find a driver that works and most are catalyst drivers which I've also tried to install and it can not find the driver.
Can anybody help. If you need more information about the system, please be specific as to where I would find it.

The standard Radeon driver SHOULD be working. You either have a hardware problem with the card or a software glitch with the system.

I'm a little confused as you say the "Radeon" driver causes a black screen but you can't find a "Catalyst" driver that works properly?

There's only one proper driver which is linked from AMD:
http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Choose the "autodetect" feature from the Support & Drivers section.

You SHOULD end up at the following page, but I want you to do the autodetect method first to verify this: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Then:
a) Download the file
b) got to Add/Remove and look for anything that says AMD or Catalyst and remove it
c) Reboot
d) Install the new drivers

If these drivers won't even install you probably have a software issue. It could also be a hardware issue but I would not expect that to prevent the installation of the drivers; usually hardware issues manifest as artifacts on the screen or crashing the computer.

While you do get a black screen it also worked just using the "standard VGA driver" which I assume means whatever Windows 7 installed so it doesn't feel like a hardware issue.

Ash262

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
while i was waiting for your reply, I managed to get a radeon driver installed (it wouldn't install earlier because of microsoft C+++), but it won't load into windows for me to roll back the driver and the display still turns off so I can't restore windows with the repair disk. Bear with me while I try to do one or the other above.