HDMI issues

peajeto

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've tried to find answers for this but have so far turned up on only dead ends. I have been going crazy trying to get my laptop to display over HDMI to my TV. My laptop (ASUS N56V, windows 7 x64) picks up the TV on it's display settings, even naming the manufacturer and giving resolution choices. The problem seems to be the TV that won't recognize the computer, since 'no signal' stays up there no matter what I do. When I extend the display, I can even lose the mouse off the edge of my screen on the laptop, but nothing shows up on the TV.

The TV is a new Samsung 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV, and the laptop is also new, so I would expect it to be an easy process. I've tried using Windows display settings and the nvidia settings (the laptop has a Geforce GT 650M card), but neither work. One possible issue I've come across is when I try to change things through the intel integrated graphics card (HD 4000), there is no option for multiple monitors. Thinking that was a potential issue, I forced all processes to be run through the nvidia card but that didn't change anything.

I called Samsung to see if they knew an issue with their TVs, but the "best" advice I got was that I needed to use a VGA cable (which struck me as rather... 'odd' advice).

I've burnt myself out trying to figure this out, and help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Have you cycled the HDMI inputs on your TV while your laptop is plugged in? Cycling back to the input might make it refresh and pick up the signal.

Another thing to try if that doesn't work try doing a new driver install for your video card.