Best card for a computer PVR?

gtlam

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I would like to set up my computer to record shows off satellite TV. The main feature I would like is to set up days/times to record shows like a VCR, or more like Tivo. What is the best card out there? I have an Nvidia video card, so I would like to stay away from ATI. That leaves Hauppage, Aver, and Leadtek (that I could think of). Has anyone used these? Why is the Hauppage so much more expensive? Can they be preprogrammed to record from satellite TV? Thanks.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
The best solution is still ATI AIW RADEON 8500 - Unless you have a Geforce4 it is the fastest solution and the best overall deal. nVidia does offer their own external package, but I didn't really like the specs.

I have used Hauppauge in the past, but their PC-PVR is still ridiculously expensive (it was the first - I don't think they have realized it is no longer the only one). Aver seems to have a good price - I haven't tried them yet (except for their external converters years ago).

The satelite TV question has more to do with whether or not the schedule service they use supports your satelite service. None of the cards I have found has an IR blaster to change channels on a satelite receiver - you would have to schedule it on the receiver and in the software to record from the Composite/S-Video in port.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.