Overclocked 3570k or 3930k to incrase minimum FPS

imomun

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Title says it :) like to hear some user opinions :)

I got the 3570k @ 4.4GHz with GTX670 FTW

Often in Modern Cpu demanding Games like Crysis 3 (eg. 2nd level) Skyrim - heavily moded (STEP) or Far Cry 3 Even with High settings selected instead available Maximum settings (AA off) Frames still drop to 40s/50s in certain areas in those games. While Afterburner shows GPU is only @ 70% or 85% load (even tried in 720p) :sarcastic:

Is it bad game code or simply more CPU power required in those areas?

If its CPU I wonder a complete platform change would benifit the frame drop or not in such CPU demanding games.

Please feel free to share your views specially those who got the 3930k

redeemer

Distinguished
Well Crysis 3 definitely loves core, anyway the 3930k is a different animal overall when compared to the i5 3570k hence the $300 difference. That being said there is no way to really bottleneck an i5 3570k especially when it is overclocked.

Farcry 3 is a badly coded console port so I would not worry about it, try running Unigine Heaven and watch your gpu utilization again and other games like BF3. If you do not mind the price tag the 3930k is a monster and will serve you well for a very long time!

I very much doubt that adding two more cores will solve your problem.

Turn on the task manager so that you start generating a cpu busy graph. When you get to a point where you get drops in the minimum rate, switch out of the game and look at the graph. If all 4 threads are very busy, then adding more cores should help.

I think it is more likely that the graphics card is the main issue. There will always be some parts of any game that suffer. Whenever you get an average utilization of over 70% with any process, you start to have response time inconsistencies. If you do better with lowered settings, then it is indicative of a lack of gpu power.

Since you were entertaining a significant cpu upgrade price, perhaps it might make sense to try sli GTX670 or a titan. I think a GTX680 will not be a significant jump to be worthwhile.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
You will see the same problem even on a 3930k, some games are just not coded well enough to handle all of a PC's potential

For gaming the 3930K is not a huge upgrade over what you have, though if you do a lot of other things besides gaming the 3930k is a damn monster~

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I can max games I would never hope to max with a 7950 all because I have an i7-3930k(Maxed Hitman 8x/16x 1920x1080), same with Sleeping dogs.

However the 600 bucks for a 3930k are better spent on a GPU upgrade or SLI/CF setup, you will get better gains from that.

aleksanderdev

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2012
That gose for skyrim aswell, a bad coded game unfortunatly. demanding way more than it gives.

The 1 titan i got isn't enough for skyrim :p So now I'm waiting for a second one :D