T226 vs T68i AT&T swap (my personal experiences)

Last response: in Brands
April 11, 2004 9:56:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

OK, so AT&T sends me out a free T226 to replace my T68i (actually, to
supplement it, since they don't actually require you to send the T68i back).

So here's the scoop so far-

#1: No question, the T226 gets *much* better reception than the T68i. I
don't have any way of knowing if this is because AT&T is already laying in
new 850mhz capabilities (which the T226 receives but not the T68i) or if the
T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on the
San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).

#2: The T226 eats batteries for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Two days is
about it before you're uncomfortable that it might run out on you. The T68i
goes for a week at times, Huge difference between the two.

#3: The T226 lacks bluetooth and voice dialing, both very nice features of
the T68i.

#4: The T226 is a reasonably ergonomic phone. Nice size, fairly
easy-to-use buttons & menus. Buttons are a bit harder to push than on the
T68i though.

So where does that leave me?

Reception is obviously a key issue with a phone, and the T226 has shown just
how bad the T68i is in that regard, at least in my home (SF Bay Area)
region. And, for kicks, I sent in my T68i for unlocking & a firmware
update, to see if that would improve reception. Alas, no. The menus work
considerably faster with the update, but the reception is just as bad.

So for now, I'll be using the T226. The T68i has to stay though, since it
has overseas capabilities that the T226 lacks. Ideally, I'd like a
quad-band phone that would work both here and in France. Second choice
would be a dedicated US (850/1900) phone with good reception & bluetooth.

By the way, for any newbies (or simply people who don't know much about
phones except how to use them) out there, with a GSM phone (like the T68i &
T226), all you need to do to go from one phone to another is to swap out the
SIM card that's found underneath the battery. If you keep your phone
entries on the SIM, you'll still have access to your phonebook entries too.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 3:57:28 PM

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> OK, so AT&T sends me out a free T226 to replace my T68i (actually, to
> supplement it, since they don't actually require you to send the T68i
back).

> So here's the scoop so far-
>
> #1: No question, the T226 gets *much* better reception than the T68i. I
> don't have any way of knowing if this is because AT&T is already laying in
> new 850mhz capabilities (which the T226 receives but not the T68i) or if
the
> T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on the
> San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).
Here in Denmark where we have dual band (GSM 900/1800) it works perfectly, I
rarely have signal problems with my T68i
But maybe that's just because in Denmark we have excellent coverage almost
everywhere, I might replace it with an UMTS phone as it seems to be the
future, I might wait for the 4th generation... I'm not sure yet...

<snip>
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 10:49:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

> > T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on
the
> > San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).

> Here in Denmark where we have dual band (GSM 900/1800) it works perfectly,
> rarely have signal problems with my T68i
> But maybe that's just because in Denmark we have excellent coverage almost
> everywhere, I might replace it with an UMTS phone as it seems to be the
> future, I might wait for the 4th generation... I'm not sure yet...

I should have been more clear about something... when I had my T68i in
France last year, I had no trouble getting a signal in even the remotest
moutain regions (I was following the Tour de France and spent a fair amount
of time in the Pyrenees, and was astounded that anywhere I wished on the Col
du Tourmalet I had perfect reception!).

Could be that the current AT&T network in the SF Bay Area is built out only
on 1900mhz. In France, the beauty to roaming (via AT&T) is that you have
access to all three networks (Orange, Byoung and I don't recall the other),
so it gets the choice of whichever has the strongest signal. That could
also be a benefit (for any multi-band phone in France, not just the T68i).

"Morten Lundstrøm" <semizealot@iname.hej> wrote in message

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > OK, so AT&T sends me out a free T226 to replace my T68i (actually, to
> > supplement it, since they don't actually require you to send the T68i
> back).
> >
> > So here's the scoop so far-
> >
> > #1: No question, the T226 gets *much* better reception than the T68i.
> > don't have any way of knowing if this is because AT&T is already laying
in
> > new 850mhz capabilities (which the T226 receives but not the T68i) or if
> the
> > T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on
the
> > San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).
> Here in Denmark where we have dual band (GSM 900/1800) it works perfectly,
> rarely have signal problems with my T68i
> But maybe that's just because in Denmark we have excellent coverage almost
> everywhere, I might replace it with an UMTS phone as it seems to be the
> future, I might wait for the 4th generation... I'm not sure yet...
>
> <snip>

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 7:39:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Do you know how to set up one touch dialing on the t226?

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> OK, so AT&T sends me out a free T226 to replace my T68i (actually, to
> supplement it, since they don't actually require you to send the T68i
back).

> So here's the scoop so far-
>
> #1: No question, the T226 gets *much* better reception than the T68i. I
> don't have any way of knowing if this is because AT&T is already laying in
> new 850mhz capabilities (which the T226 receives but not the T68i) or if
the
> T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on the
> San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).
>
> #2: The T226 eats batteries for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Two days is
> about it before you're uncomfortable that it might run out on you. The
T68i
> goes for a week at times, Huge difference between the two.
>
> #3: The T226 lacks bluetooth and voice dialing, both very nice features
of
> the T68i.
>
> #4: The T226 is a reasonably ergonomic phone. Nice size, fairly
> easy-to-use buttons & menus. Buttons are a bit harder to push than on the
> T68i though.
>
> So where does that leave me?
>
> Reception is obviously a key issue with a phone, and the T226 has shown
just
> how bad the T68i is in that regard, at least in my home (SF Bay Area)
> region. And, for kicks, I sent in my T68i for unlocking & a firmware
> update, to see if that would improve reception. Alas, no. The menus work
> considerably faster with the update, but the reception is just as bad.
>
> So for now, I'll be using the T226. The T68i has to stay though, since it
> has overseas capabilities that the T226 lacks. Ideally, I'd like a
> quad-band phone that would work both here and in France. Second choice
> would be a dedicated US (850/1900) phone with good reception & bluetooth.
>
> By the way, for any newbies (or simply people who don't know much about
> phones except how to use them) out there, with a GSM phone (like the T68i
&
> T226), all you need to do to go from one phone to another is to swap out
the
> SIM card that's found underneath the battery. If you keep your phone
> entries on the SIM, you'll still have access to your phonebook entries
too.

> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

April 13, 2004 10:44:01 AM

"Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message news:<IKyec.36083$2P2.10509@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> Do you know how to set up one touch dialing on the t226?
>

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > OK, so AT&T sends me out a free T226 to replace my T68i (actually, to
> > supplement it, since they don't actually require you to send the T68i
> back).
> >
> > So here's the scoop so far-
> >
> > #1: No question, the T226 gets *much* better reception than the T68i. I
> > don't have any way of knowing if this is because AT&T is already laying in
> > new 850mhz capabilities (which the T226 receives but not the T68i) or if
> the
> > T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on the
> > San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).
> >
> > #2: The T226 eats batteries for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Two days is
> > about it before you're uncomfortable that it might run out on you. The
> T68i
> > goes for a week at times, Huge difference between the two.
> >
> > #3: The T226 lacks bluetooth and voice dialing, both very nice features
> of
> > the T68i.
> >
> > #4: The T226 is a reasonably ergonomic phone. Nice size, fairly
> > easy-to-use buttons & menus. Buttons are a bit harder to push than on the
> > T68i though.
> >
> > So where does that leave me?
> >
> > Reception is obviously a key issue with a phone, and the T226 has shown
> just
> > how bad the T68i is in that regard, at least in my home (SF Bay Area)
> > region. And, for kicks, I sent in my T68i for unlocking & a firmware
> > update, to see if that would improve reception. Alas, no. The menus work
> > considerably faster with the update, but the reception is just as bad.
> >
> > So for now, I'll be using the T226. The T68i has to stay though, since it
> > has overseas capabilities that the T226 lacks. Ideally, I'd like a
> > quad-band phone that would work both here and in France. Second choice
> > would be a dedicated US (850/1900) phone with good reception & bluetooth.
> >
> > By the way, for any newbies (or simply people who don't know much about
> > phones except how to use them) out there, with a GSM phone (like the T68i
> &
> > T226), all you need to do to go from one phone to another is to swap out
> the
> > SIM card that's found underneath the battery. If you keep your phone
> > entries on the SIM, you'll still have access to your phonebook entries
> too.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

By the way ATTWS didnt send you anything. Sony Ericsson did as a
courtesy to customers who had their equipment that did not support
850, a band that ATTWS will have overlayed all over their entire nat'l
network by june of 04. Its a free phone with no strings attatched, so
i feel that there should be no fussing about it at all. It was free so
take it and be happy.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:12:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <44f5f086.0404130544.6713a10@posting.google.com>,
melancholysr@aol.com (Steve) wrote:

> "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Do you know how to set up one touch dialing on the t226?
> >

> > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > > OK, so AT&T sends me out a free T226 to replace my T68i (actually, to
> > > supplement it, since they don't actually require you to send the T68i
> > back).
> > >
> > > So here's the scoop so far-
> > >
> > > #1: No question, the T226 gets *much* better reception than the T68i. I
> > > don't have any way of knowing if this is because AT&T is already laying
> > > in
> > > new 850mhz capabilities (which the T226 receives but not the T68i) or if
> > the
> > > T226 is simply better with weak signals. (I should point out I live on
> > > the
> > > San Francisco peninsula; reception elsewhere may vary).
> > >
> > > #2: The T226 eats batteries for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Two days is
> > > about it before you're uncomfortable that it might run out on you. The
> > T68i
> > > goes for a week at times, Huge difference between the two.
> > >
> > > #3: The T226 lacks bluetooth and voice dialing, both very nice features
> > of
> > > the T68i.
> > >
> > > #4: The T226 is a reasonably ergonomic phone. Nice size, fairly
> > > easy-to-use buttons & menus. Buttons are a bit harder to push than on
> > > the
> > > T68i though.
> > >
> > > So where does that leave me?

Helping Sony get rid of a too large stockpile of T226's ?

> > > Reception is obviously a key issue with a phone, and the T226 has shown
> > just
> > > how bad the T68i is in that regard, at least in my home (SF Bay Area)
> > > region. And, for kicks, I sent in my T68i for unlocking & a firmware
> > > update, to see if that would improve reception. Alas, no. The menus
> > > work
> > > considerably faster with the update, but the reception is just as bad.
> > >
> > > So for now, I'll be using the T226. The T68i has to stay though, since
> > > it
> > > has overseas capabilities that the T226 lacks. Ideally, I'd like a
> > > quad-band phone that would work both here and in France. Second choice
> > > would be a dedicated US (850/1900) phone with good reception & bluetooth.
> > >
> > > By the way, for any newbies (or simply people who don't know much about
> > > phones except how to use them) out there, with a GSM phone (like the T68i
> > &
> > > T226), all you need to do to go from one phone to another is to swap out
> > the
> > > SIM card that's found underneath the battery. If you keep your phone
> > > entries on the SIM, you'll still have access to your phonebook entries
> > too.
> > >
> > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> > >

> By the way ATTWS didnt send you anything. Sony Ericsson did as a
> courtesy to customers who had their equipment that did not support
> 850, a band that ATTWS will have overlayed all over their entire nat'l
> network by june of 04. Its a free phone with no strings attatched, so
> i feel that there should be no fussing about it at all. It was free so
> take it and be happy.
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 7:51:31 PM

melancholysr@aol.com (Steve) writes:

> By the way ATTWS didnt send you anything. Sony Ericsson did as a
> courtesy to customers who had their equipment that did not support
> 850, a band that ATTWS will have overlayed all over their entire nat'l
> network by june of 04.

The S/E person I spoke to a few weeks ago was quite clear that while
it was S/E sending out the phones, they were doing it at the behest of
ATTWS. "They send us the list of customers and what phones to send to
each one."

It's not like S/E has any influence over what band ATTWS decides to
use.

> Its a free phone with no strings attatched, so i feel that there
> should be no fussing about it at all. It was free so take it and be
> happy.

It's a free phone, but it is lacking in features compared to the phone
ATTWS expects you to stop using. This makes it a "free downgrade" in
my book. And yes, you are being forced to use it if you want your
coverage to improve.

ATTWS will let customers upgrade to a T616 for $99 and another
two-year service commitment.

Nice policy. It sent me to another carrier (I'm sure ATTWS is weeping
over the loss of my piddling account :^).

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message news:<m3isg2pccc.fsf@tanelorn.bandersnatch.org>...
> melancholysr@aol.com (Steve) writes:
>
> > By the way ATTWS didnt send you anything. Sony Ericsson did as a
> > courtesy to customers who had their equipment that did not support
> > 850, a band that ATTWS will have overlayed all over their entire nat'l
> > network by june of 04.
>
> The S/E person I spoke to a few weeks ago was quite clear that while
> it was S/E sending out the phones, they were doing it at the behest of
> ATTWS. "They send us the list of customers and what phones to send to
> each one."
>
> It's not like S/E has any influence over what band ATTWS decides to
> use.
>
> > Its a free phone with no strings attatched, so i feel that there
> > should be no fussing about it at all. It was free so take it and be
> > happy.
>
> It's a free phone, but it is lacking in features compared to the phone
> ATTWS expects you to stop using. This makes it a "free downgrade" in
> my book. And yes, you are being forced to use it if you want your
> coverage to improve.
>
> ATTWS will let customers upgrade to a T616 for $99 and another
> two-year service commitment.
>
> Nice policy. It sent me to another carrier (I'm sure ATTWS is weeping
> over the loss of my piddling account :^).
>
> Nick

Listen to me. Attws sent them a list to let SE know who had 1900
only SE phones. SE decided to send the t226. But neither ATTWS or SE
had an obligation to send you a new phone w/o a contract ext. And you
can still use the t68 for the features like bluetooth, just swap your
sim, takes a second. I think its a great policy considering the
company cost of the t616 is 219.99. Thats a discount of 120.00. So
stop bitching. And you arent being forced to do anything. When Ford
comes out with a new body style car with more free features are they
obligated to upgrade your shitty version car for free? Nope. Why is
this any different? And no they arent weeping, one less idiot to waste
time complaing over how terrible it was that they got something for
free.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:19:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

melancholysr@aol.com (Steve) writes:

> Attws sent them a list to let SE know who had 1900
> only SE phones. SE decided to send the t226.

How do you know this for a fact? The SE rep I spoke to directly
contradicts this claim. Why in Hades would SE send out phones when
it's ATTWS who decided to render the T68i unworkable?

> And you can still use the t68 for the features like bluetooth, just
> swap your sim, takes a second.

But what good does that do me if I don't have reception?

> When Ford comes out with a new body style car with more free
> features are they obligated to upgrade your shitty version car for
> free? Nope. Why is this any different?

What's different is that Ford doesn't sell a car that only drives on
Ford roads, or roads made by companies that Ford has roaming
agreements. Ford also doesn't switch out their roads with new roads
that are not compatible with the car they sold me. Pursuing your
analogy, Ford's "solution" is to send me a motorcycle to replace my
family sedan, despite my having purchased the sedan for valid reasons.

You just wrote the worst car analogy I've seen in a long time, which
is something of an accomplishment.

> And no they arent weeping, one less idiot to waste time complaing
> over how terrible it was that they got something for free.

I bet they're glad to have such friendly, insightful people as
yourself arguing their case for them, though.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:36:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

> Listen to me. Attws sent them a list to let SE know who had 1900
> only SE phones. SE decided to send the t226. But neither ATTWS or SE
> had an obligation to send you a new phone w/o a contract ext. And you
> can still use the t68 for the features like bluetooth, just swap your
> sim, takes a second. I think its a great policy considering the
> company cost of the t616 is 219.99. Thats a discount of 120.00. So
> stop bitching. And you arent being forced to do anything. When Ford
> comes out with a new body style car with more free features are they
> obligated to upgrade your shitty version car for free? Nope. Why is
> this any different? And no they arent weeping, one less idiot to waste
> time complaing over how terrible it was that they got something for
> free.

If Ford were to sell you a car that gas was no longer available for within
the lease period (essentially similar to your phone contract) then yeah, I
think people would have a right to complain. And AT&T 1900mhz service is
going downhill FAST in the SF Bay Area. I don't know why this is so...
whether they're replacing 1900mhz with 850 or what... but my T68i is rapidly
becoming useless. Less signal strength, often ZERO signal strength in areas
where getting a signal was no problem before.

"Steve" <melancholysr@aol.com> wrote in message
> Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
> > melancholysr@aol.com (Steve) writes:
> >
> > > By the way ATTWS didnt send you anything. Sony Ericsson did as a
> > > courtesy to customers who had their equipment that did not support
> > > 850, a band that ATTWS will have overlayed all over their entire nat'l
> > > network by june of 04.
> >
> > The S/E person I spoke to a few weeks ago was quite clear that while
> > it was S/E sending out the phones, they were doing it at the behest of
> > ATTWS. "They send us the list of customers and what phones to send to
> > each one."
> >
> > It's not like S/E has any influence over what band ATTWS decides to
> > use.
> >
> > > Its a free phone with no strings attatched, so i feel that there
> > > should be no fussing about it at all. It was free so take it and be
> > > happy.
> >
> > It's a free phone, but it is lacking in features compared to the phone
> > ATTWS expects you to stop using. This makes it a "free downgrade" in
> > my book. And yes, you are being forced to use it if you want your
> > coverage to improve.
> >
> > ATTWS will let customers upgrade to a T616 for $99 and another
> > two-year service commitment.
> >
> > Nice policy. It sent me to another carrier (I'm sure ATTWS is weeping
> > over the loss of my piddling account :^).
> >
> > Nick
>

> Listen to me. Attws sent them a list to let SE know who had 1900
> only SE phones. SE decided to send the t226. But neither ATTWS or SE
> had an obligation to send you a new phone w/o a contract ext. And you
> can still use the t68 for the features like bluetooth, just swap your
> sim, takes a second. I think its a great policy considering the
> company cost of the t616 is 219.99. Thats a discount of 120.00. So
> stop bitching. And you arent being forced to do anything. When Ford
> comes out with a new body style car with more free features are they
> obligated to upgrade your shitty version car for free? Nope. Why is
> this any different? And no they arent weeping, one less idiot to waste
> time complaing over how terrible it was that they got something for
> free.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:01:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote
in message news:kpkgc.52641$643.34087@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...

| For what it's worth, assuming that the T616 has similar reception to the
| T226, I'd be one happy camper with that combo.

With the R1B firmware (which I am sure a new T616 would have), it is one of
the best, if not the best GSM phone available right now. I can only speak of
the 1900MHz spectrum and not the 850MHz, but it is the only GSM phone that
can make/receive calls at my place at the lake. Notable phones that either
have literally 0 signal or can only get a voice mail indicator but not place
a call there are Samsung s307 and x427, Moto v400 and t720, Siemens s56,
Nokia 3595 and 6200. FWIW neither would my old Nokia 3390, but it was a
brick anyway <wink>.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 4:49:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

melancholysr@aol.com (Steve) writes:

> You are busting on my analogy?

Yeah, because the flaws in your analogy show the flaws in your
reasoning.

> Im done with this.

Good, I'm glad you've decided to stop defending the indefensible.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 7:20:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

> the best, if not the best GSM phone available right now. I can only speak
of
> the 1900MHz spectrum and not the 850MHz, but it is the only GSM phone that
> can make/receive calls at my place at the lake. Notable phones that either
> have literally 0 signal or can only get a voice mail indicator but not
place
> a call there are Samsung s307 and x427, Moto v400 and t720, Siemens s56,
> Nokia 3595 and 6200. FWIW neither would my old Nokia 3390, but it was a
> brick anyway <wink>.

I'd call that a ringing endorsement! Too bad the T616 only comes in a
version with the camera, since there are some places that get kinda touchy
about that.

"Jason Cothran" <NOshjSPAM@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <MikeJ@ChainReaction.com> wrote
> in message news:kpkgc.52641$643.34087@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...
>

> | For what it's worth, assuming that the T616 has similar reception to the
> | T226, I'd be one happy camper with that combo.
>
> With the R1B firmware (which I am sure a new T616 would have), it is one
of
> the best, if not the best GSM phone available right now. I can only speak
of
> the 1900MHz spectrum and not the 850MHz, but it is the only GSM phone that
> can make/receive calls at my place at the lake. Notable phones that either
> have literally 0 signal or can only get a voice mail indicator but not
place
> a call there are Samsung s307 and x427, Moto v400 and t720, Siemens s56,
> Nokia 3595 and 6200. FWIW neither would my old Nokia 3390, but it was a
> brick anyway <wink>.

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:50:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

> By the way ATTWS didnt send you anything. Sony Ericsson did as a
> courtesy to customers who had their equipment that did not support
> 850, a band that ATTWS will have overlayed all over their entire nat'l
> network by june of 04. Its a free phone with no strings attatched, so
> i feel that there should be no fussing about it at all. It was free so
> take it and be happy.

all understood. but it is miss-leading to call it an "upgrade". i am glad
that i checked the specs first before i would have eventually sent the 68i
back. i got that one specifically for international roaming, ir. i think the
226i is sh... - only upgrade are the ring tones, it looks cheap.

peter.
!