SB 128 install problem

ChrisTsang

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
Yesterday I bought a SB 128bit sound card and install in my AMD1.2G PC. No problem at installation and when I restart the computer, it works well with welcome song and I try to play some .wav file, play VCD, all works fine.

However, when I try to put the PC game CD in the CD Rom, it will hang up the application, I try 4-5 different disk and all have the same response, once I remove the sound card the problem disappear. I checked system information and there is no IRQ conflict or any strange thing..

Anyone know the possible reason? Please help!

ChrisTsang

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
OS - Win 98 SE
But I guess if the driver is not update it will only influence the sound card output quality / no sound but not hang up the application...let me try to find some update driver anyway...

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When U say 128bit, do you mean a SoundBlaster128 or an actual 128bit soundblaster ???

I have seen similar nuttiness with A SB128 & a SS7 board... plays wavs fine but when it comes to playing videos or games it will run but the sound is badly distorted (echo & pops+hissing, what mobo are U running with ???

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marneus on 04/12/02 02:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

The SB PCI-128 sound card does not support EAX, which most really good PC games require, try moving up to the SB live series cards and you shouldn't have anymore problems, seeing as how you're running Win 98 SE,if money is a factor try swapping it where you bought it and pay the difference for a SB Live Value Card, if money is not a factor, move up to the SB Audigy Gamer, both have EAX support and will solve your problem.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I always recommend against Creative cards, especially the Live. Creative's drivers are terrible, and the Live is a poor piece of hardware.

Try a Muse XL for $14 at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">Newegg.com</A>, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz if you want something better, and a Hercules Game Theater XP if you want the deluxe card.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft