Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

red0turky

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I was wondering if this graphics card was good, and if it would work in my computer well or if not what would be the bottleneck. Also I would love any feedback on maybe another card that I should get instead. I want to stay around the same price range and I am not opposed to going to Nvidia.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439

^ The card im thinking about

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week, soon 450-500 Dollars
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Tomb Raider -> Far cry 3 -> Tera Online -> Sim City -> League of Legends

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 560 TI and 700 W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), 3.6GHz
8gb of ram
I think my motherboard is a x79 Extreme4-M

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: New Egg

PARTS PREFERENCES:

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080+

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None

Thank you guys!

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Great card for the price beats the 680 in most benchmarks Ive seen. I would go for it. Gigabyte is prone to overclocking cards so this card is no exception I would push it pretty hard with those 3 fans. Great card for what you need 700w is plenty with a good psu company. If you want to crossfire in the future I think you're going to need a bit more power maybe around an 850-1000w for extra headroom as well. At 1080p on those games should be no problem with AA, not sure but even far cry 3 without AA it still looks amazing. If frames are too low for you on games tone the AA a bit but I dont think this card should have any hiccups considering my radeon 7870 doesnt. I would sell the 560ti and put it towards your 7970 if you arent already, but the 560ti is a good card for entry-mid level but the 7970 is what you really want for some horsepower. Hope this helps, All the best.

red0turky

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I plan to give my card to my roommate if he can use it, otherwise I will sell it.

So the card will work in my machine cool, my friend built my computer for me last time so I am a little nervous bout installing it but I am sure I can figure it out.

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Thats cool, graphics card are pretty easy to install as long as you have the correct connectors or if you dont some gpu companys provide a substitute for them. Look up some videos on how to install them if you're a bit nervous. Pretty big card so watch for room.

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

The one thats more expensive has an overclock to the parts of it giving it more performance, but you can go with the cheaper version for just a few frames less and you can overclock it like that with yours but depending on how you do it, it may give you more frames. Same card, bit better performance for 50$ imo its not worth it unless you don't want to mess with anything or potentially void your warranty. Either one for you. Both will perform great.

solomaniac85

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

The one thats more expensive has an overclock to the parts of it giving it more performance, but you can go with the cheaper version for just a few frames less and you can overclock it like that with yours but depending on how you do it, it may give you more frames. Same card, bit better performance for 50$ imo its not worth it unless you don't want to mess with anything or potentially void your warranty. Either one for you. Both will perform great.

fatboyslim

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
go with the cheaper version .. no point investing 50$ more for 100mhz speed and 125mhz mem speed .. if u need to overclock it later u can do it .. otherwise it will serve u just as good .. a couple of frames here n there wont matter ..