Sign in with
Your question
Solved

802.3ad compliant Router

Last response: in Networking
April 13, 2012 2:08:23 PM

Hey guys

I am in need of expert help, I have been running many scenarios in my head and none can fit what I need

So I have a NAS device that supports link aggregation, which I hope to utilize ofc I found a switch that supports my choice fell on the Cisco SG200-8, however I later found out that switches can't control the flow of internet, meaning I can't shutdown the internet on some ports I only could shutdown the port completely.

See I do alot of online gaming, and I want to shutdown all internet connections except for my gaming rig, without severing the Local Area Network between the computers.

I did some research on 8 port Routers which most advised not to get.

So what I need is a way of controlling the flow of internet which could only be done by routers but also need link aggregation.

I have 2 AP, 2 Computers, 1 NAS so 6 ports counting link aggregation and I'd really love to control the internet from a single device, without having to disconnect the port and losing LAN connection
April 15, 2012 4:14:12 PM

wow really, every goes out on weekends :( 
m
l
April 16, 2012 7:20:53 AM

I've done it by either blocking the mac address on the router or buy having a firewall rule on the router I turn on/off as needed to allow only the gaming pc through to the internet while preserving lan connectivity.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 23, 2012 7:01:01 AM

lb137 said:
I've done it by either blocking the mac address on the router or buy having a firewall rule on the router I turn on/off as needed to allow only the gaming pc through to the internet while preserving lan connectivity.

Okay so what your saying sir is, I will connect my modem to my router and then from my router to my Switch and I`ll have all my devies connected to teh switch where I could utilize Link Aggregation, and I`ll control the flow of internet from the router?

so to sum it my network be like this

Modem <---- Router <---- Switch
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:44:37 PM

Yes, which is really what you should have done originally since the modem usually doesn't like when there is more than one device connected to it.
m
l
April 26, 2012 4:38:32 AM

Okay thank you sit seems easy to do just a last couple of questions.

TWill the switch automaticily obtain IP address from the router just like the access points or do I need to set it up? And should I go for HP ProCurve or Cisco SG200?

Last thing the router I am using now is really old and I am thinking of getting a new one to replace it. Is there a good Wired only router that u sould suggest?
m
l

Best solution

April 26, 2012 5:26:38 AM

It should automatically pick up the IP address from the router, as the switch is just switching packets and has no Layer 3 capability unless you specifically buy a layer 3 switch.

I like the ProCurves myself, the Cisco SMB stuff is hit (300 Series or miss (500 series). Edit: Take a look at the HP J9449A#ABA. Newegg dosen't specify it has LACP if you filter for that, but it does. Another one is the LG-Ericsson iPECS ES-2000, but I don't know much about them.

Asus RT-56U, somewhat ugly and cumbersome in physical design, but works well.
May 3, 2012 5:59:51 AM

Best answer selected by Jeffspears.
m
l
!