Solved

802.3ad compliant Router

Hey guys

I am in need of expert help, I have been running many scenarios in my head and none can fit what I need

So I have a NAS device that supports link aggregation, which I hope to utilize ofc I found a switch that supports my choice fell on the Cisco SG200-8, however I later found out that switches can't control the flow of internet, meaning I can't shutdown the internet on some ports I only could shutdown the port completely.

See I do alot of online gaming, and I want to shutdown all internet connections except for my gaming rig, without severing the Local Area Network between the computers.

I did some research on 8 port Routers which most advised not to get.

So what I need is a way of controlling the flow of internet which could only be done by routers but also need link aggregation.

I have 2 AP, 2 Computers, 1 NAS so 6 ports counting link aggregation and I'd really love to control the internet from a single device, without having to disconnect the port and losing LAN connection
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compliant router
  1. wow really, every goes out on weekends :(
  2. I've done it by either blocking the mac address on the router or buy having a firewall rule on the router I turn on/off as needed to allow only the gaming pc through to the internet while preserving lan connectivity.
  3. lb137 said:
    I've done it by either blocking the mac address on the router or buy having a firewall rule on the router I turn on/off as needed to allow only the gaming pc through to the internet while preserving lan connectivity.

Okay so what your saying sir is, I will connect my modem to my router and then from my router to my Switch and I`ll have all my devies connected to teh switch where I could utilize Link Aggregation, and I`ll control the flow of internet from the router?

so to sum it my network be like this

Modem <---- Router <---- Switch
  4. Yes, which is really what you should have done originally since the modem usually doesn't like when there is more than one device connected to it.
  5. Okay thank you sit seems easy to do just a last couple of questions.

TWill the switch automaticily obtain IP address from the router just like the access points or do I need to set it up? And should I go for HP ProCurve or Cisco SG200?

Last thing the router I am using now is really old and I am thinking of getting a new one to replace it. Is there a good Wired only router that u sould suggest?
  6. Best answer
    It should automatically pick up the IP address from the router, as the switch is just switching packets and has no Layer 3 capability unless you specifically buy a layer 3 switch.

I like the ProCurves myself, the Cisco SMB stuff is hit (300 Series or miss (500 series). Edit: Take a look at the HP J9449A#ABA. Newegg dosen't specify it has LACP if you filter for that, but it does. Another one is the LG-Ericsson iPECS ES-2000, but I don't know much about them.

Asus RT-56U, somewhat ugly and cumbersome in physical design, but works well.
  7. Best answer selected by Jeffspears.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Shutdown Internet Networking