Graphics card faulty? PC Red screen/layer.

Ajito

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum section however I'm guessing our problem is something to do with my friends graphics card.

My friend recently brought a new a Sofa and moved his PC across his room, two days later he has booted his PC and the screen has a vibrant red layer over the desktop and open windows, the computer won't boot naturally and can only be accessed via safe mode. The red screen immediantly kicks in once booted.

I'm hoping a smarter mind here can solve his issue as he isn't able to use his computer at the moment because of the issue.

We've tried various simple methods to try and sort the issue, virus scan, registry clean (both via Advanced system care ), remove the RAM ( saw on another post ), remove graphics card, wiggle HDMI cable and Mini HDMI display adapter. We've tested the TV with a SKY box (TV) and the screen is perfectly fine.

We've updated Graphics card drivers to see if that sorts the issue, startup repair, change the monitors refresh rate (weren't able to change due to settings grayed out).

We've a couple of guesses that perhaps the card is faulty or that the adapter has gone faulty but really quite clueless at the moment.

His specs are

Q6600 Quad core
550ti Graphics card
4GB RAM
250GB HD

In safe mode not sure if this is normal, DXDIAG display doesn't show his graphics card name but in driver manager it does register the 550ti.

http://i45.tinypic.com/34o8u42.png - Not sure if TomsHW has a built in section for picture upload but this is a picture from Skype.

Me and my friend are trying to fix this via Skype and I'm not with him in person, the picture was taken via iphone and then screen shotted on my PC.

If he screen shots himself, the screens shot comes out normal with no red overlayer and distortion.

Really appreciate any help,

Ajito.

Ajito

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi thanks for the reply, had a look but saw nothing wrong. Had a little tweak with it anyway but still no luck.

If he takes a screen shot and it doesn't have red it is clearly the monitor. If it was the gpu then the red would still be there on the screenshot. Check the connection or another display. Were you saying he can't boot normally? I'm a little confused about that.

Ajito

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Missed your reply, hope you're still on. The machine isn't booting properly either, has to be booted in safe mode. We've tried it with an additional HDMI and it still had the same error.

We were thinking it was either the GFX card or the HDMI Mini display adaptor that could be the problem. It was working fine previously, till the computer was moved across the room.