Sign in with
Your question

PC completely crashes during games , have to restart power supply.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2013 5:37:50 PM

During game time, at certain points (will explain later) my pc completely crashes, no blue screen or anything, it just completely shuts down. To reboot it, I have to either 1) press the power button for a while , release and press it again 2) restart power supply.

The phenomenon occurs at certain points of the games (for example, in Dota 2 it occurs when "Radiant side" looses) but it has also occured once or twice in random times.

In Skyrim and Borderlands 2 it also happens, but I haven't been able to specify when it happens.

What I've tried to do :
a) Opened the pc case and cleaned it many times.
b) Changed the thermal paste to CPU.
c) Updated graphics card drivers, updated OS.
d) Reinstalled the games.
e) Checked temperatures via speedfan and by myself (mostly touched the case) - All ok.
f) Asked at the forums of the games - no answer. (I even sent a letter to a magazine, no response)

Is there any way I can resolve the issue? I will get a new machine in 4-5 months , but I wanna send this one to my cousin back at home , so I want it to be able to run some games properly.

Machine specs:

CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4 GHz
RAM : 2 GB (2x1 DDR2)
GPU : nVidia 8800 GT 512mb
PSU : CWT psp-575p2p 405w
κουτί : Coolermaster HAF 912
Motherboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5KPL-VM
Windows 7 Ultimate x32
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2013 5:50:48 PM

I call faulty or overloaded psu:

PSU : CWT psp-575p2p 405w sounds like a crappy psu to me can't find it on google

What are the temps of cpu and gpu ?
March 7, 2013 6:17:52 PM

dextermat said:
I call faulty or overloaded psu:

PSU : CWT psp-575p2p 405w sounds like a crappy psu to me can't find it on google

What are the temps of cpu and gpu ?

GPU ~ 55 C
CPU ~47 C

(checked them now with firefox, speedfan and WMP playing some music)

Indeed the psu is not the best you can find, but it has lasted for 5 years or so, and I don't recall changing anything on hardware/software that would cause the crashes.
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
a c 121 ) Power supply
March 7, 2013 6:21:32 PM

This sounds like the PSU. Capacitor aging may have taken it down. That's also a possible fate of the mobo. Go over it closely looking for bulging or leaking capacitors. Google "bad capacitors" for some images.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2013 6:41:17 PM

get a new psu and you should be good. Also get a decent name brand..
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2013 6:53:24 PM

PS was my first assumption as I began to read also.

a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2013 7:44:02 PM

I had a system with an 8800GTX start doing that to me. I replaced the GTX with a 6770 (stopgap til I bought my current setup) and it stopped doing that. Was never able to pin down if the GPU itself was the problem or if getting a lower power card masked the fact that my no-name PSU was dying.
!