Your question

Move OEM Windows 7 from one Macbook Pro (Boot Camp) to another MacBook Pro

Tags:
  • Macbook Pro
  • Windows 7
  • OEM
Last response: in Windows 7
March 29, 2012 7:23:38 PM

I have an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro in a Bootcamp partition. I have since purchased a new Macbook Pro and installed the same Windows 7 onto a Bootcamp partition on the new MBP with the help of the techs at a Microsoft Store. Now I am being asked for the Product Key and am being told that I am not able to activate the key on my new MBP. I had been told that installing the software on a new machine would deactivate it on the old machine, but apparently that is not the case. Is there anything I can do to deactivate the OEM copy of Windows 7 from my old MBP and activate it on my new MBP, or am I stuck having to buy a new copy of Windows? I am happy to clear it off the old machine anyway. Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Mike

More about : move oem windows macbook pro boot camp macbook pro

March 29, 2012 7:37:51 PM

I'm surprised it even gives you that much trouble. Does it give you a phone number to call for activation over the phone. Usually it just works fine for me or in the worst case gets me to call in to MS and exchange a code with the customer service representative which upon entering into my Windows installation everything works fine.
m
l
a c 238 $ Windows 7
March 29, 2012 7:39:27 PM

OEM copies are tied to the system/motherboard. You will have to contact MS for a new key and explain to them why you need it. I'm surprised the people at the MS store even set that up for you. You should have got a retail version instead of the OEM version.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 8:17:20 PM

I didn't realize that an OEM version would cause me heartburn. I put in the product key and it rejects it. I called Microsoft and they were no help. I simply want to be able to uninstall and reinstall. So if I uninstall off of one Mac would that free up the product key or am I just toast?
m
l
March 29, 2012 8:21:23 PM

geogolem said:
I'm surprised it even gives you that much trouble. Does it give you a phone number to call for activation over the phone. Usually it just works fine for me or in the worst case gets me to call in to MS and exchange a code with the customer service representative which upon entering into my Windows installation everything works fine.

I have only tried activating over the web link that comes up. My code gets rejected. I was told some time ago that simply activating the code on the new machine would deactivate Windows 7 on the other machine, but I am not experiencing that. I'd rather not have to go out and buy another copy of Windows when all I really want to do is move the copy I have.
m
l
a c 238 $ Windows 7
March 29, 2012 8:22:22 PM

If your motherboard had broken, MS would have probably given you a new key. Even then, they don't have to according to the OEM license. Windows should continue to run fine on the first macbook you activated it on. You need to purchase a new copy to run on the new system. If you plan on carrying the OS over to another system later, then get the retail version, not the OEM version. There is a reason why it's cheaper for OEM. You also get no/little support from MS with an OEM license.
m
l
March 29, 2012 8:40:36 PM

So I can move a retail copy but not the OEM copy. Not being a computer pro, it would have been nice had the guys at Microcenter told me that when I bought the OEM copy. Live and learn.
m
l
March 29, 2012 11:12:30 PM

I bought an OEM copy from tigerdirect a couple years ago when Windows 7 first came out. I didn't buy any hardware with it and it came in a normal dvd movie-like box. It has a sticker on it "Only for distribution with a new PC". It works fine and lets me re-install multiple times etc. I would call Microsoft and explain the problem. OEM versions don't usually come with Macbook Pros anyway, so if you got it working before, you should be able to get it to work again.
m
l
March 30, 2012 2:48:30 AM

geogolem said:
I bought an OEM copy from tigerdirect a couple years ago when Windows 7 first came out. I didn't buy any hardware with it and it came in a normal dvd movie-like box. It has a sticker on it "Only for distribution with a new PC". It works fine and lets me re-install multiple times etc. I would call Microsoft and explain the problem. OEM versions don't usually come with Macbook Pros anyway, so if you got it working before, you should be able to get it to work again.

I did talk to Microsoft and they told me today that my OEM copy means I am on my own.
m
l
March 30, 2012 3:24:22 AM

MJD1 said:
I did talk to Microsoft and they told me today that my OEM copy means I am on my own.

That really sucks. Good luck! I wonder whats so different about my copy vs. yours. I just checked now and mine is definitely an OEM copy. Usually I can activate it online about 3 - 5 times before the activation program forces me to call into a Microsoft 1800 number after which I am good to go for another 3 - 5 activations. I even have it installed/activated on two machines at the same time and it doesnt complain. When I call the 1800 number the first question they ask me is how many machines is it installed on and I tell them 1.
m
l
March 30, 2012 4:12:17 AM

geogolem said:
That really sucks. Good luck! I wonder whats so different about my copy vs. yours. I just checked now and mine is definitely an OEM copy. Usually I can activate it online about 3 - 5 times before the activation program forces me to call into a Microsoft 1800 number after which I am good to go for another 3 - 5 activations. I even have it installed/activated on two machines at the same time and it doesnt complain. When I call the 1800 number the first question they ask me is how many machines is it installed on and I tell them 1.

I have an appointment tomorrow at a Microsoft Store to talk to one of their tech guys. Maybe they will do for me what the gal on the phone would not. If not I am stuck buying Windows a second time.
m
l
March 30, 2012 7:57:34 PM

geogolem said:

The Microsoft Store took care of me this morning. They did have to use the phone activation process, but it went fine and my Windows 7 license is now "genuine" on the correct MBP. I should be good to go until the next time I upgrade to another MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the help to all on this thread!

Mike

m
l
March 30, 2012 8:18:36 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you!
m
l
!