Underwhelming 7850 performance

juraba

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello forum,

I was excited for buying a new Sapphire 7850 1gb, as I have been 4 years with my 9800gt, and I thought it would be a good upgrade. And it was. I always knew from reviews that 7850 overclocks pretty well. My particular card reached only 1140MHz on the core and 1250(so disappointed) on the memory. Anything higher than that would result in a blue screen. Exception made disabling HT on my core i3 2100, in which 1300MHz on the memory would be stable. Dunno if this is actually the case. I was even more disappointed by the OC results in gaming. 28% gain in core clock to result in 10-11% increase in gaming.

Here are some results of Metro 2033 benchmark. I only disabled Hyper-threading out of curiosity, and it seem to have stopped the stuttering and even gave a tiny bit of extra frames. I wouldnt count on that because even with 10 runs of the benchmark the results were inconsistent.
metro2033x.jpg

Another thing I tested was 3dMark 11.
Stock result: p5128
OC result: P5731

Same goes with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. benchmark and pretty much any other game.

The rest of the specs are:
h61 Asus motherboard
4gb Corsair 1333 RAM
FSP 400w PSU

My question is what can I improve to get better scores, memory clocks and what should my next upgrade of the PC be. I was planning on either upgrade to z77 + core i5 in the not so near future or change the platform to AMD fx-6300. Also is there a way to unlock voltages on a 1gb card like some people do with 2gb cards by flashing to an ASUS bios.

Thank you for the time spared! :bounce:

Norlag

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
First of all, you should not be using that psu! The 7850 requires at least 500w, and you have a 400 watt psu from a bad compny. Before you do anything else, replace it with a good psu from corsair, xfx, or seasonic. That will probably solve the problem there.

Not all cards overclock equally. Your card may just not overclock well, or you had some bad luck and got a deficient card. You probably can't rma it because it works, just not as much as you'd like.

Also, just because you overclock by 28% does not mean you will get a 28% increase in performance. This is true also for a cpu.

I wouldn't get the VS series, they are the lowest quality ones, get the CX ones over the VS ones anyday

andycal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Some of my friends have experienced a whining or screeching noise from corsair psu's. Norlag is correct, you need to upgrade your power supply to at a least a 500w psu. Currently I'm using a Thermaltake 675w modular power supply to power 2 Gigabyte 2GB 7850's in crossfire. They run exceptionally well and handle battlefield 3 on max settings @ 60+ fps. Once you upgrade your psu, you'll have no problem overclocking your 7850.

Here is exact link for the PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

I ran my 7850 on split 14+15 12v rail for a while OC without any issues, AMD overestimates power usage to be safe

The CX430 is less upgrade able than a 500W psu BUT THE cx500 only offers like 6 more amps on the 12 v

The CX430 has 32 amps on the 12v rail for 384 Watts ont he 12v rail, more than enough for an i3 +7850 OC

Some would say the Corsair units are a bit hit and miss in terms of coil whine though I haven't had any issues with mine and neither have my friends though your mileage will vary as with all things and all brands

TinkerTailor

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

juraba

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
If the 7850 wasn't so power efficient I wouldn't have chosen it. The whole system should use about 14 amps on the 12v rail at mega full load so cx430 should be the PSU to take as it offers 27 or so amps. As for the voltage, there is no software to control it, is there a way to flash the bios with unlocked voltage control. Thanks for the replies all !!

"I was even more disappointed by the OC results in gaming. 28% gain in core clock to result in 10-11% increase in gaming."

cpu bottleneck. You should upgrade to an i5, certainly dont go for a fx6300, any i5 2xxx series would be better for gaming and will fit straight in your motherboard. you will see a significant increase in performance. Also adding another 4gb ram would be very beneficial.

juraba

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Well I ordered a new PSU and another 4gb of ram, we will se what the results will be. As for the cpu: I doubt the i3 is anywhere near bottlenecking the system. I will stick with it until the time comes to Crossfire another 7850. Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS