is my power bill going to be too high?

G

Being that I just built a new computer a few weeks ago, I was wondering if the power bill is going to be really high. My old computer (POS COMPaq) had a 125 watt power supply and I used 30 watt speakers. Now I have a 300 watt power supply and 400 watt speakers. That's like 700 watts at maximum. I don't really think it'd be 700 watts contantly, but still that's a significant increase over 155 watts with the old setup. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Your power supply only uses what it needs. Even if you have a 300w PSU it would only use 300w maxed out.

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile:

G

ok then, what about the speakers? I have the logitech z560s (they're 400 watt RMS). And how often will the power consumption reach 300 watts? I'm running an Athlon XP 1600+ 256MB DDR Kingston RAM, Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200 running in enhanced mode, ECS K7S5A motherboard, creative 52x cd-rom, mitsumi 32x CD-R/W drive, 40 GB western dig hard drive, SB Audigy, and extra NIC (for sygate internet connection sharing)

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
lol, what do you think your going to see a 100$ increase on your bill, comon now...Don't use your tv as much and use Flash Lights instead of the lights in your house! lol

This Community is like a Second Family!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Check the specifications on your equipment and add up all the wattages, you should be able to find the info on the FCC's website.

Your speakers will (in theory, and hopefully in practice), use all 400w when they are turned up all the way.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

G

i do turn off my monitor when it's not in use, however I don't believe it draws anywhere close to 400 watts. I think it's close to aroudn 50 or 60

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think it's around 200w for a 19", since the typical 19 incher uses ~1.8A at 120V.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Do what I do, replace all the light bulbs in your house with low-power fluorescent light bulbs. They only consume ~20W but they are as bright as 100W incandecent bulbs.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I have my computer running close to 24/7/365 and never noticed any jump on my hydro bills, when it was off for 3 weeks I still payed about the same like the one 2 months before (hydro bills come every 2 months here).

I don't know who started the "pay higher hydro bills if you run a computer" myth, but I find it pretty dumb. Didn't notice any bill change since I got this 550 Watts power supply, even got bigger fans running now. Maybe it was true with old computers, but I wouldn't bet my pants on it.

Maybe people shouldn't own a computer and other home electronics if a few bucks more a year make them panic. I mean for real, what's next, drying hair while driving because it saves a penny or two? Going blind using low wattage bulbs for another few cents.............. heh get over it, it will <b>NOT</b> put you in the poor house if you let your computer run 24/7/365.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

G

ok, well I mean I do'nt pay the bills in the house and I don't know how electric bills/rates go, but I just don't want my parents to be like why the hell is the power bill so high this month, that's all.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I wasn't picking on you. ;)

It shouldn't show, your box doesn't draw enough power to make your bill jump noticable. New stuff is energy saving anyway, including monitor. I have everything set to run non-stop. If I let stuff go idle and run screensaver then I disconnect from my server, pretty bad when you wait in line on irc for ummm milk. :)

My 550 watts power supply never draw 550 watts, it draw way less. But I can't tell the ammount it does because my bills are about the same all the time, a buck or two more or less doesn't make any diff.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>