Just came across a problem.

samm_

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
So, i figured my cpu isnt powerful enough for my gpu. Now sometimes when i play certain games my gpu will emit a high frequency noise, i can assure this isnt the fan as i know what the fan sounds like at 100%. Never had any rendering problems so far with games or anything, i played minecraft earlier and it emitted this noise for about a second then disappeared. Also played TF2 earlier and no noise at all, i launched Furmark and it made a lower pitched noise, its like i can hear it rendering or something along those lines, im worried its a fault but i havent had any obvious issues with over heating or visual problems.

GPU: ATi HD 7970 power color 3gb vortex II
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition @3.4ghz

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

samm_

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I edited it in the original post. I must note the the pci-e clip; the one used to remove the card is wedged against the card due to its size.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
ok so you can hear the engine processing .. you do realize the chips them selves make no noise correct ... haha lol it would be like a v12 granted.. lol but sounds like a fan ball bearing or something of those sorts. or could possibly be with a lot of these cases you get a rattle from the cards being held in from the tooless pci slot clips .. which can also make that sound. from the vibration of the fans in your case. just guessing but while that 965 is a little underpowered for that gpu you will be sure to know its being used to its full potential .. lol

samm_

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I do realise my cpu is under powered Im just making sure right now its definitely the graphics card and not my cpu.

samm_

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
okay i just noticed its my CPU D: 3 cores are operating around 30-40% and the fourth is around 80 -100. When i press single player on minecraft the noise starts and at the exact same time my 4th core rockets up to 90% what is this :S Just to add my RAM is 8gb and my pc says only around 7gb is avaible =/ 7935mb to be exact. Also ive used my onboard graphics to see if the noise is not the gpu, ran the same tests, and no noise cpu doesnt shoot up to 90% either. My guess is my graphics card is doing something here. what do you guys think?

samm_

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah a plan to get the 8350 and get a new mb, also get a replacement for my card :) ill report back here with the results, some people may find it useful to see how it was solved etc.