Replaced a ATI card with a Geforce one, didn't uninstall drivers

DustyTheLion

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Through a long and convoluted set of circumstances I've ended up with a PC that had a ATI card in it, but it was removed without the drivers being uninstalled. I've since bought a geforce to replace it. However my motherboard is sending video error beeps and won't show anything on the monitor.

I've tried both using the new card, and taking it out and using the motherboard's VGA and DVI outs, but niether work. So I need to know my options. What can I do to at least boot the computer and start the process of replacing drivers.

Here's a list of things already tried:

DVI cable plugged into the new Geforce card.
DVI cable plugged into the Motherboard.
VGA cable pluged into the Motherboard.

Any suggestions?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The drivers installed for the OS (likely Windows) play no role in the mobo failing to post. You've got a hardware issue going on somewhere.

Try clearing the cmos. Easiest way is to pull the little battery out for a few minutes. Reseat all the RAM as well (you'd be surprised at how many issues this can clear up)

Also, post the specs of the computer, including the specific motherboard model, and the type of beep it is making. That way I can look up the beep code, or send you to a page with them listed.