Gigabyte 7970 windstorm3 oc-Not overclocking

cdrkeen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Hello,

Not sure if it's by user error or I just got a dud. In ccc I moved power control settings to +20% and I can't even get a 50mhz extra. Loading crysis 3 it blackscreens and CS:go gives me the ati driver failure screen.

I just recently upgraded from the 7850. Could this problem have to do with not getting rid off all ati files with driver sweeper before installing the card?

I did the ati uninstall utility before seating the card and then installed 13.1 driver. I doubt this is software related which is why I haven't even tried it,,,but as a last resort I will.

Any ideas?

Thanks

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
what software are you using to overclock? is it msi afterburner?

Personally, I have owned 8 nvidia cards and overclocked all of them. I have only had one ati gpu a sapphire hd4890 but never tried overclocking it.

However, I remember I was having trouble with my gigabyte windforce 2x gtx560 ti, as soon as I increased the core clock by 10mhz, the gpu used to crash. I tried everything that I could but could not overclock that card at all even though everyone else was able to overclock that exact same card. I guess I was unlucky enough to get a dud card and it could be the same case for you. I have been avoiding gigabyte windforce gpus ever since and moved on to Asus direct CU II cards.

Ed Palmer

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
it's a factory pre-overclocked model. The default voltage setting of the model is the max. according ATI's guideline. you are not able to tweak its voltage but frequency.

cdrkeen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

Thanks for the message. I have tried all of the overclocking software to no avail. Afterburner, ccc, sapphire trixx and nothing works. As is I'm getting very good performance for all my games: bf3 crysis3, fc3 but was hoping so squeeze out a bit more. In your opinion do you think a 150mhz extra on the core is really worth it? I've thought about returning the card for an unlocked voltage card like a cheaper sapphire model.

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Well, if you are getting satisfactory performance without even overclocking, then you technically do not need to overclock your gpu. With that being said, I never use a gpu without overclocking it the extra 150mhz should give you a 5-10%boost which, in my opinion, is a lot. As you can see from my sig- I pushed my gtx670 from 1058mhz to 1346mhz. That extra 300mhz takes the card to the level of gtx680/hd7970ghz and even beyond. So yes, getting a Sapphire model would be a pretty good idea specially if it doesn't cost you a thing.