Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte 7970 windstorm3 oc-Not overclocking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2013 2:22:53 AM

Hello,

Not sure if it's by user error or I just got a dud. In ccc I moved power control settings to +20% and I can't even get a 50mhz extra. Loading crysis 3 it blackscreens and CS:go gives me the ati driver failure screen.

I just recently upgraded from the 7850. Could this problem have to do with not getting rid off all ati files with driver sweeper before installing the card?

I did the ati uninstall utility before seating the card and then installed 13.1 driver. I doubt this is software related which is why I haven't even tried it,,,but as a last resort I will.

Any ideas?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2013 6:48:21 AM

what software are you using to overclock? is it msi afterburner?

Personally, I have owned 8 nvidia cards and overclocked all of them. I have only had one ati gpu a sapphire hd4890 but never tried overclocking it.

However, I remember I was having trouble with my gigabyte windforce 2x gtx560 ti, as soon as I increased the core clock by 10mhz, the gpu used to crash. I tried everything that I could but could not overclock that card at all even though everyone else was able to overclock that exact same card. I guess I was unlucky enough to get a dud card and it could be the same case for you. I have been avoiding gigabyte windforce gpus ever since and moved on to Asus direct CU II cards.
m
l
March 15, 2013 3:07:56 AM

it's a factory pre-overclocked model. The default voltage setting of the model is the max. according ATI's guideline. you are not able to tweak its voltage but frequency.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2013 1:11:48 PM

shamsmu said:

Personally, I have owned 8 nvidia cards and overclocked all of them. I have only had one ati gpu a sapphire hd4890 but never tried overclocking it.

However, I remember I was having trouble with my gigabyte windforce 2x gtx560 ti, as soon as I increased the core clock by 10mhz, the gpu used to crash. I tried everything that I could but could not overclock that card at all even though everyone else was able to overclock that exact same card. I guess I was unlucky enough to get a dud card and it could be the same case for you. I have been avoiding gigabyte windforce gpus ever since and moved on to Asus direct CU II cards.

Thanks for the message. I have tried all of the overclocking software to no avail. Afterburner, ccc, sapphire trixx and nothing works. As is I'm getting very good performance for all my games: bf3 crysis3, fc3 but was hoping so squeeze out a bit more. In your opinion do you think a 150mhz extra on the core is really worth it? I've thought about returning the card for an unlocked voltage card like a cheaper sapphire model.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2013 3:35:11 PM

cdrkeen said:
shamsmu said:

Thanks for the message. I have tried all of the overclocking software to no avail. Afterburner, ccc, sapphire trixx and nothing works. As is I'm getting very good performance for all my games: bf3 crysis3, fc3 but was hoping so squeeze out a bit more. In your opinion do you think a 150mhz extra on the core is really worth it? I've thought about returning the card for an unlocked voltage card like a cheaper sapphire model.

Well, if you are getting satisfactory performance without even overclocking, then you technically do not need to overclock your gpu. With that being said, I never use a gpu without overclocking it the extra 150mhz should give you a 5-10%boost which, in my opinion, is a lot. As you can see from my sig- I pushed my gtx670 from 1058mhz to 1346mhz. That extra 300mhz takes the card to the level of gtx680/hd7970ghz and even beyond. So yes, getting a Sapphire model would be a pretty good idea specially if it doesn't cost you a thing.
m
l
!