Newbie lost and in need of help ;)

G

Hello,

In the past few days, I've been investigating to get a capture card to work with my DV camera. However, I had so many different opinions and reviews that I just don't know where to look anymore!

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Professional looking movies using a DV camera (it's a Canon GL1 btw) with output to a VCR & a DVD Burner. I already have contacted companies who can provide me with dubbing of my tapes and making DVD.

I've done several upgrades on my computer which runs under Windows XP with 512meg and 2 HD of 80gig each non-partitioned.

Now, for my card, I have a budget of about 1000-1500$. I've read several reviews about the Matrox being a good competitive card and standing out of the bunch of semi professional cards (I'm not a professional yet but I need something good to work with). But I've also read and heard that a 50$ Firewire card would do the job just fine.

So my question is what is the best capture card & graphic card that will provide me with the best output quality?

Also, about the monitor to see the work done, do I need a computer monitor, a special NTSC Monitor or a standard 15" TV? I've seen in one of Tom's Guide about building a digital video editing computer that the Matrox RT2500 could easily be connected to a standard TV monitor with the breakbox. Is it better than a Radeon or a dedicated card like this.

Any help would be appreciate!

Thank you

G

Ok, maybe I put it a bit too long...

What card gives the best CPU -> VCR output?

And what do I need in terms of graphic equipment to do dual monitoring? (you know, to watch the actual footage when I'm editing it)

Thanks and once again, I apologize if my last post was too long. Sorry.