Over heating GFX!!

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Recently my card has been getting hotter and hotter and i want to just ask, before i do so, is that is this problem being caused by dust or is there something else that may be causing it. I have a GTX560 ti with MSI twin frozr II cooler and shouldn't be getting very high temps. I was just playing on Just Cause 2 before and got up to 86 degrees C which is way hotter than used to, i used to only get up to 60-65 max on it.

Also i'm sure airflow is not a problem as i have my case fans running at max most of the time. The GFX idles at 40 atm and my cpu is also having problems and idles at 40-45.
I just want to know is it just dust or could there be something else?

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Solution
A textbook dust problem looks like it. Get MSI afterburner to monitor temps in-game. Also, with msi afterburner, you should be aggressive with the fan speeds because your card should be less than 70c at all times, with that cooler at least.
A textbook dust problem looks like it. Get MSI afterburner to monitor temps in-game. Also, with msi afterburner, you should be aggressive with the fan speeds because your card should be less than 70c at all times, with that cooler at least.

Solution
Get a can of compressed air from your local electronics store and blow the dust out of the heatsink and fan. a smallish paintbrush is good for getting in between the fins of the heatsink for stubborn dust. If its still hot after that, new thermal paste may be needed, there should be plenty of guides to do this if you google it.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
My fan speeds have always been set right, i never like things getting hot. Have it to run like 40-50% idle and 100% anywhere near 70's.
Will head out tomorrow and get an airduster and do a close clean, just wanted to make sure that was the main possibility.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
case fans are practically new and have next to no dust on them, so they have little to clean off but may aswell. the cpu never used to get over 50 and i can see a heap of dust in the v8 fins from where i'm sitting :p

Only problem is air dusters are a rip off where i live and are, at cheapest, 20 NZD. i might try and see if there are any in like a $2 shop or something.

jakewat97

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I've actually seen and heard of people using leaf blowers, so i might even give that a go because i have a low power one that should work.

And lol, i think you would get spit all over the parts using a baloon.

TRENDING THREADS