  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:12:14 PM

hey guys
I just got the Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I installed it
smoothly and everything works fine.

However I tried to do some Port forwarding and it did not work and I am
really confused as to how it works.

I need to do some Application-triggered port forwarding
1. Inbound port 4662 (TCP)
2. Outbound port 3379 (UDP)

Can someone please tell me how I should write a rule to achieve opening of
these ports.

Thanks, help is appreciated
Chaprasi Baba

More about : port forwarding

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:12:15 PM

Does the outbound connection happen BEFORE the inbound connection?
If not, an app triggered port forward won't help you.

If you answered yes to the first question... do you need the incoming port
open all the time?
If yes, does the outbound connection keep repeating (i.e. at least every two
minutes)
If no, then an app triggered port forward won't help you.

If you are sure that an app triggered port forward is what you need
Then the outbound port is 3379 (private type UDP) and the inbound port is
4662 (public type TCP)

If you answered no to any of the above, then you'll need to use a persistent
port forward.
Forward public port 4662 (TCP) to the lan ip of the computer running your
app, on private port 4662 (TCP)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Shailendra Batham" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> hey guys
> I just got the Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I installed it
> smoothly and everything works fine.
>
> However I tried to do some Port forwarding and it did not work and I am
> really confused as to how it works.
>
> I need to do some Application-triggered port forwarding
> 1. Inbound port 4662 (TCP)
> 2. Outbound port 3379 (UDP)
>
> Can someone please tell me how I should write a rule to achieve opening of
> these ports.
>
> Thanks, help is appreciated
> Chaprasi Baba

Anonymous
April 17, 2004 4:21:38 AM

What I need is:

TCP Port 4662 - The TCP port the program will use to accept incoming
connections (like transfers from other clients). This port must be allowed
through firewalls or routed through routers to receive 'Open' connection
status.
UDP Port 3379 - The UDP port the program will use to accept incoming
connections (like information on which clients have the files you are
looking for). This port must be allowed through firewalls or routed through
routers to receive 'Open' connection status.

For the above what rule should I write.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> Does the outbound connection happen BEFORE the inbound connection?
> If not, an app triggered port forward won't help you.
>
> If you answered yes to the first question... do you need the incoming port
> open all the time?
> If yes, does the outbound connection keep repeating (i.e. at least every
two
> minutes)
> If no, then an app triggered port forward won't help you.
>
> If you are sure that an app triggered port forward is what you need
> Then the outbound port is 3379 (private type UDP) and the inbound port is
> 4662 (public type TCP)
>
> If you answered no to any of the above, then you'll need to use a
persistent
> port forward.
> Forward public port 4662 (TCP) to the lan ip of the computer running your
> app, on private port 4662 (TCP)
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Shailendra Batham" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > hey guys
> > I just got the Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I installed it
> > smoothly and everything works fine.
> >
> > However I tried to do some Port forwarding and it did not work and I am
> > really confused as to how it works.
> >
> > I need to do some Application-triggered port forwarding
> > 1. Inbound port 4662 (TCP)
> > 2. Outbound port 3379 (UDP)
> >
> > Can someone please tell me how I should write a rule to achieve opening
of
> > these ports.
> >
> > Thanks, help is appreciated
> > Chaprasi Baba

April 17, 2004 4:21:39 AM

Hi,

Go to your Base Station Management Tool, then go to Security, then click on
Port Forwarding then click on the Set up persistent port forwarding.
Then type in the following:

Inbound port(s): 4662 - 4662
Type: TCP
Private IP address: the IP address of your internet computer
Priave port(s): 4662 - 4662

Then click the Add button
Now for your second one type in the following:

Inbound port(s): 3379 - 3379
Type: UDP
Private IP address: the IP address of your internet computer
Priave port(s): 3379

Then click the Add button.
That's it!

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Chaprasi Baba" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> What I need is:
>
> TCP Port 4662 - The TCP port the program will use to accept incoming
> connections (like transfers from other clients). This port must be allowed
> through firewalls or routed through routers to receive 'Open' connection
> status.
> UDP Port 3379 - The UDP port the program will use to accept incoming
> connections (like information on which clients have the files you are
> looking for). This port must be allowed through firewalls or routed
> through
> routers to receive 'Open' connection status.
>
> For the above what rule should I write.
>
> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Does the outbound connection happen BEFORE the inbound connection?
>> If not, an app triggered port forward won't help you.
>>
>> If you answered yes to the first question... do you need the incoming
>> port
>> open all the time?
>> If yes, does the outbound connection keep repeating (i.e. at least every
> two
>> minutes)
>> If no, then an app triggered port forward won't help you.
>>
>> If you are sure that an app triggered port forward is what you need
>> Then the outbound port is 3379 (private type UDP) and the inbound port is
>> 4662 (public type TCP)
>>
>> If you answered no to any of the above, then you'll need to use a
> persistent
>> port forward.
>> Forward public port 4662 (TCP) to the lan ip of the computer running your
>> app, on private port 4662 (TCP)
>>
>> --
>> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>>
>> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>>
>> "Shailendra Batham" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> > hey guys
>> > I just got the Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I installed it
>> > smoothly and everything works fine.
>> >
>> > However I tried to do some Port forwarding and it did not work and I am
>> > really confused as to how it works.
>> >
>> > I need to do some Application-triggered port forwarding
>> > 1. Inbound port 4662 (TCP)
>> > 2. Outbound port 3379 (UDP)
>> >
>> > Can someone please tell me how I should write a rule to achieve opening
> of
>> > these ports.
>> >
>> > Thanks, help is appreciated
>> > Chaprasi Baba

Anonymous
April 17, 2004 4:50:59 AM

Did the same settings as you told but still the ports don't seem to be open.
I did a netstat -a to see the ports open but no luck

"Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Go to your Base Station Management Tool, then go to Security, then click
on
> Port Forwarding then click on the Set up persistent port forwarding.
> Then type in the following:

> Inbound port(s): 4662 - 4662
> Type: TCP
> Private IP address: the IP address of your internet computer
> Priave port(s): 4662 - 4662
>
> Then click the Add button
> Now for your second one type in the following:

> Inbound port(s): 3379 - 3379
> Type: UDP
> Private IP address: the IP address of your internet computer
> Priave port(s): 3379
>
> Then click the Add button.
> That's it!
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Chaprasi Baba" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > What I need is:
> >
> > TCP Port 4662 - The TCP port the program will use to accept incoming
> > connections (like transfers from other clients). This port must be
allowed
> > through firewalls or routed through routers to receive 'Open' connection
> > status.
> > UDP Port 3379 - The UDP port the program will use to accept incoming
> > connections (like information on which clients have the files you are
> > looking for). This port must be allowed through firewalls or routed
> > through
> > routers to receive 'Open' connection status.
> >
> > For the above what rule should I write.
> >
> > "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Does the outbound connection happen BEFORE the inbound connection?
> >> If not, an app triggered port forward won't help you.
> >>
> >> If you answered yes to the first question... do you need the incoming
> >> port
> >> open all the time?
> >> If yes, does the outbound connection keep repeating (i.e. at least
every
> > two
> >> minutes)
> >> If no, then an app triggered port forward won't help you.
> >>
> >> If you are sure that an app triggered port forward is what you need
> >> Then the outbound port is 3379 (private type UDP) and the inbound port
is
> >> 4662 (public type TCP)
> >>
> >> If you answered no to any of the above, then you'll need to use a
> > persistent
> >> port forward.
> >> Forward public port 4662 (TCP) to the lan ip of the computer running
your
> >> app, on private port 4662 (TCP)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
> >>
> >> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> >>
> >> "Shailendra Batham" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > of

Anonymous
April 17, 2004 4:51:00 AM

netstat -a will tell you if the program has opened a listening port.
It won't tell you if the router has opened the ports.

If running netstat doesn't tell you that the ports have been open on your
computer, then the issue is your computer, not the router.

Gary's instructions were correct based on the information that was provided.
Make sure you have no firewalls on your local system that may be preventing
the computer from receiving the communications on that port.

--

> Did the same settings as you told but still the ports don't seem to be
open.
> I did a netstat -a to see the ports open but no luck
>
> "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Go to your Base Station Management Tool, then go to Security, then click
> on
> > Port Forwarding then click on the Set up persistent port forwarding.
> > Then type in the following:

> > Inbound port(s): 4662 - 4662
> > Type: TCP
> > Private IP address: the IP address of your internet computer
> > Priave port(s): 4662 - 4662
> >
> > Then click the Add button
> > Now for your second one type in the following:

> > Inbound port(s): 3379 - 3379
> > Type: UDP
> > Private IP address: the IP address of your internet computer
> > Priave port(s): 3379
> >
> > Then click the Add button.
> > That's it!
> >
> > --
> > Gary Tsang
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >

> > "Chaprasi Baba" <chaprasi@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > What I need is:
> > >
> > > TCP Port 4662 - The TCP port the program will use to accept incoming
> > > connections (like transfers from other clients). This port must be
> allowed
> > > through firewalls or routed through routers to receive 'Open'
connection
> > > status.
> > > UDP Port 3379 - The UDP port the program will use to accept incoming
> > > connections (like information on which clients have the files you are
> > > looking for). This port must be allowed through firewalls or routed
> > > through
> > > routers to receive 'Open' connection status.
> > >
> > > For the above what rule should I write.
> > >
> > > "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

> every
> > > two

> is

> > > persistent
> your

> am

> opening
> > > of

April 18, 2004 9:52:11 AM

You can check if the ports are open by using ShieldsUp at

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Once you proceed, enter the port you want to check and
click "User Specified Custom Port Probe." This will
report whether the router port(s) is/are open or not.