Looking to expand wfi network

ysoytnly

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have my router in the basement, along with my main computer, and the reception upstairs is so-so. I was thinking the best thing to do would be to get a wireless access point for the main level and run a cable up to it. I have the venerable Linksys WRT54GS, which has been flawless. So I'm thinking maybe I should get a new N router and run the Linksys upstairs as the WAP. Does this sound like a good idea, or do you have any better budget solutions? I understand repeaters aren't really the best way to go, though they are pretty simple. Oh ya, I need a patch cable as opposed to a crossover to connect the routers, right? Thanks for any suggestions.

ysoytnly

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
After spending a few days researching routers etc, I've decided to buy a new N router, a decent one, and see if that alone solves my problem. If not, I can run the CAT5 upstairs and configure the AP. Wow, I can't believe how many choices there are in routers now, I haven't purchased one in a long time...my Linksys was given to me new. Wish me luck!