PSU making strange noises

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I turn the computer off, my power supply starts making a kind of a squealing sound. It's quiet, one must get really close to the case to hear it, and it doesn't last for long, but just to be on the safe side, can anybody explain to me what is happening...

--- <i>Part of the price you must pay for any knowledge is to discover it for yourself.</i> ---

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like the bearings on your fan are going. If it's a new PSU, I would have it exchanged under warranty. If not, you can change the fan BUT BE VERY CAREFUL.

There are a lot of capacitor and stored electric in the PSU, even after it is unplugged. Supposedly, there is enough juice in reserve to KILL a person, but then, I never heard of this happening to anyone. I recommend if you do go in the PSU, to let it sit, unplugged, for a day or two, hopefully it will discharge. It might also help to try turning your computer on while unplugged.

PSU usually take a standard 80mm or 92mm fan, and you can use the regular ones and just loom the wires for it out with the rest of the wiring harness.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is pretty easy to change the fan but be careful with the capacitor. Some of capacitor take more than a day or two before they are fully discharged.

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tnx for replying, but it's not the fan. It comes to a complete stop, but the squealing continues. The sound resembles those of an older TV when you turn it on after some time of inactivity... Hmmm, there is really no good way of describing it.

--- <i>Part of the price you must pay for any knowledge is to discover it for yourself.</i> ---

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
I know exactly what you're talking about.. its a high pitched sqeal that decreases in pitch over a period of about 5 seconds. Here's a way of describing it: its like being near an airplane when the engine of the turbine slows down, only it isn't as loud. I'll also try to locate the sound and try to figure out where it comes from ( for my computer) I dont think its a bad thing though.

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, that's it! Well, in my case it's coming from the PSU, I'm sure of that. I don't recall hearing it before (maybe I just didn't notice it), so I'm a little worried...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i dont know if its a good or a bad thing, but i would think it means the power supply is going out.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

svol

Champion
It could be a normal sound created by one of the electric components which will do you no harm, but it also could be a sign that your PSU is failing.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
my cpu cooler spin down slower than any of the other fans and I can hear it through the PS, could be that's what you hear?

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's what I'm afraid of. Is there any way to be sure?

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, it's not that, I checked, Mnx4 described the sound perfectly, I'm sure it's coming from the PSU, and I'm pretty sure that it's being created by an electric component (a discharging capacitor maybe?)...

svol

Champion
I don't know how to test that, but if it a sign that it is failing there wouldn't be anything you can do to stop it. It also can be a sign that your PSU is running on max which you will notice by low voltages. I don't know about capacitators creating sound, but it could be a transistor.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think that the PSU is overstreched. It's a 300W PSU in a midi tower case, filled with only the usual components. Tnx for all the replies. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...