Eyefinity 6 - 4x DP + 2x VGA possible?

haus-air

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

we're currently building a stationary flight simulator cockpit and plan to use the following setup for the visuals:

- 3x 1920x1080 (combined), connected via DisplayPort for the outside visuals
- 1x 2560x1440, connected via DisplayPort for the Instructor Station
- 2x VGA 1440x900 (seperate), connected via VGA for the Instrument Panels

I'm pretty sure that the 4 screens with DisplayPort will be no problem using an Eyefinity 6 card - but what about the two old VGA TFTs? They are built into the main instrument panel behind a panel mask and cannot be changed.

At the moment we are using 3 seperate PCs, but we plan on upgrading the software and using just one PC will really simplify the setup and operation of the simulator.

Will it work as intended?

Thanks in advance for your help,
best regards

Chris

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
If you mean simply can you get them working, you should be able to. You will need Displayport Adapters. Most of the recommended ones are Displayport to DVI. From there you should be able to use a Dongle (included with most video cards or can be bought seperate) to go from DVI to VGA. There may be Displayport to VGA adapters but I havent seen any. This should get the outputs working, the real question will be if the flight sim software will allow this type of setup.

haus-air

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Thank you for your response,

during my research I've often read that DP->DVI Adapters won't work with the common DVI->VGA Adapters (at least with Eyefinity)... (?)

However I've found some relatively cheap Mini-DP to VGA Adapter, but no reliable information about if they work with Eyefinity 6 or not.

Would be great if someone could confirm that it works using the mentioned adapters or standard DP->DVI and DVI->VGA adapters.

Thanks!

Kari

Splendid

yes this is true. those simple dvi-vga adapters only work on DVI-I outputs which has both digital and analog singal in it, DP-DVI adapter is more precisely DVI-D and is purely digital.

edit
181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi