Is HD 6950 still unlockable?

Solution
There was an alternate method that continued to work for much longer. Though technically, it did not make it register as a 6970, but it did unlock the shaders non the less. After a while, the manufacturers often locked them with added circuitry. It is unlikely it would still work, but it did on a few up to a year ago.

If you are daring, it is possible to do it with these instructions, but your odds are less than 50%:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316974-33-radeon-6950-shader-unlock-instructions

I don't even have 6950's anymore and I won't be able to help you if things go wrong, as you can see it did for a couple people (though they did get it working eventually).
There was an alternate method that continued to work for much longer. Though technically, it did not make it register as a 6970, but it did unlock the shaders non the less. After a while, the manufacturers often locked them with added circuitry. It is unlikely it would still work, but it did on a few up to a year ago.

If you are daring, it is possible to do it with these instructions, but your odds are less than 50%:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316974-33-radeon-6950-shader-unlock-instructions

I don't even have 6950's anymore and I won't be able to help you if things go wrong, as you can see it did for a couple people (though they did get it working eventually).

Solution

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

The would require a silicon modification. AMD did not change the GPU (baselayer respin or otherwise), and a board modification is very unlikely on reference boards (since the reference would have to be changed). Non-reference board are more likely to have this implemented (unlikely, but other incompatibilities may exist).

I gave you a link to the alternate method, that works on non-reference designs as well, and there is even a link to some people who disabled the locking methods used on some cards, but it is buried in the post. I still wouldn't do it at this point, but if you are more adventurous than I, go for it.

That makes sense. So it was the manufacturers implementing methods to control this rather than AMD changing any spec.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I would not try it if you have nonreference card. You can get a nice bump in FPS just by giving the card more juice ~20%
I was successful modding 3 out of 4 (2 out of 2 reference, and 1 out of 2 non reference)
The non reference cards got crewed up even after I flashed it back to original bios it never worked as great as before( it scored in line with 6850) so I RMA it and got new one which I kept as 6950 in my wifes PC.

@bystander

yeah sure...actually I have never unlocked it before since I did not have access to the card
now that I have a chance to do it myself,I am very eager to do it.

just to get the after feeling of doing it...hope you understand what I an trying to say

I have never had to create a boot disk, but you can google it. It would likely be best to do that ahead of time, so you are prepared.

Whether you'd need it depends on how bad the flash goes. Sometimes it will allow you to boot with the bad flash, but not use acceleration or game with it, other times you can't even boot with it in the system. It's the latter that requires a boot disk to fix.