HD 7870 trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

159951Mario

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, everyone. I'm trying to install a new HD 7870 but after I plug it in and turn on my computer and such, the fans on the card spin up but I don't get any display. I've checked the connections multiple times and tried different PCIe slots (I know the slots are good because my old card works perfectly in them) but I still didn't have any luck. So originally I thought it was just a bad card so I exchanged it for another one. Problem is that I'm having the same luck with this one and I kind of doubt that I got a bad card twice in a row. Originally I thought my PSU far exceeded the minimum but maybe not? Anyway I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it.

Here's the new card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418
My PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-371-049&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

My system specs

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
AMD FX-4100
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
ASRock 970 Extreme4
AMD Radeon HD 6670
1397GB Seagate ST1500DL003-9VT16L ATA Device (SATA)
112GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 ATA Device (SSD)
ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device

Solution
I would put your old card back in and check to see if you need a bios update for your motherboard. There could be a compatibility issue with pcie 2.0 to 3.0 and a new bios version might fix that. Just a thought.

Kari

Splendid
the psu should be more than enough, good quality as well so it's unlikely to be the culprit..

Easiest question first: did you connect the PCIe power connectors into the card?
edit there should be 2 6pin connectors...

159951Mario

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Yeah I've tried connecting both of the 6pin connectors. It came with 2 molex adapters. I would try those but it would require 4 molex connectors and I don't have that many available.

159951Mario

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I tried booting without the sound card installed but still no luck. Also whenever I try to boot with the new video card, I get a error code 97 on my mobo for "Console output devices connect." I'm not sure if that helps at all..

159951Mario

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

This is before windows. I'm pretty sure this is during the POST because I get that error message and I can't even get into the BIOS. What happens is that I turn on the computer, everything starts spinning up and running perfectly fine except for the monitor stays black and after a couple of seconds it says "DVI no signal."

Kari

Splendid

nah you shouldnt need those adpaters, your psu has 4 6+2pin pcie plugs so that should be enough for a single card :D

I'm not sure what to make of that error code you get, it's like it's unable to connect to an output device, it probably just means the graphics card... The card is inserted all the way into the slot right and fits in there snuggly? The small plastic latch at the end of the slot is closed?

159951Mario

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Yeah that's what I was thinking the code meant.. The card is seated firmly into the slot and the latch is closed. There are even some lines along the bottom of the card that help you make sure the card is installed and oriented properly so I'm certain it's in there good. :\

Kari

Splendid
maybe the mobo doesn't like pcie3.0 cards... try the following: swap the old card back in, boot into bios, manually set the pcie link as pcie 2.0 (rather than leaving it on auto), save&exit and power down, put the new one back in, cross fingers, try to boot.

Kari

Splendid

but it would at least get to windows loading screen and not hang during post if it was a windows' driver problem...

jda78

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I would put your old card back in and check to see if you need a bios update for your motherboard. There could be a compatibility issue with pcie 2.0 to 3.0 and a new bios version might fix that. Just a thought.

Solution

159951Mario

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Sweet! I updated the BIOS and reinstalled the card and everything worked like a charm. :D Thank you everyone so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.