G

I am about to get a new computer. 4GB DDR PC2700 RAM is one of my configs. Forget about the price (Im loaded) and i know you think it is a "waste" but believe me I will be taking 4GB to the limit with my work. And yes the motherboard i'm gettig supports
My question is the more RAM the slower? Will my 4GB DDR PC2700 be slower than say a 512MB DDR PC2700? Someone told em so, but i refuse to believe it. What's the truth?

Oxymoron - Microsoft Works

Its more the ability of the motherboard to deal with the extra memory on it's slots. As more slots get used, the performance drops, but unless the board has issues, it shouldn't be noticable.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, due to a limit in modern PC architecture, only 3.5GB will be visible in Windows.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
a couple of questions...

1. does any 1Gb PC2700 exist??????
2. does it come in registered or ECC?????

the best ive seen so far is Corsair XMS2700 512mb cas2.

and if your gonna have over 2 sticks of it u may run into problems if they arnt registered or ecc ram.

and i honestly think 2 sticks of that will be all you need.

and i wouldnt be suprised that 4gb is slower than 512... just so much more mem to access

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
If you do decide to go for the 4GB, or ever 1GB, post your benchmarks for the different amounts of memory that you have available. I know there are people that would be interested to see if the performance is increased or decreased and by how much.

G

I don't see how using more ddr memory would make it slower. ddr memory is accesed in parallel not in series like rdram, so the latency time is not multiplied ,the number of sticks/stick-pairs by the highest latency time (a weakest link scenario).

there are absolutely no absolutes

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
There was an article on <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com</A> on April 10th that was written because of a review that showed performance problems when there was more than 512MB. I'm hoping that someone with a system that already has 1GB+ can benchmark their system with 256MB and/or 512MB to see what happens to the performance.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I got One Question, Mobo's don't have more then 4 Slots, not that' i've seen, and I never seen a 1 GB Pc2700 Chip... so you would have to only buy 1 GB chips to get the 4GB, where did you find a 1 GB chip.... far as i know, 512 is the biggest in the Pc2700 area...thus making you get a 2 GB MAX... using 4 X 512

This Community is like a Second Family!!

G

1st of all the RAM is registered ECC. Next, it is from VoodooPC, the best company you can absolutly buy from. I am sorry. i have forgoten to add a important detail. I am trying to decide between 1.5 GB of DDR3000 with AMD or 4GB of PC800. All motherboards support 5 slots. With the AMD Soulution it would be DDR3000 4X256 and 1X512 to get 1.5GB. With the Intel Soulution it would be PC800 3X1024 and 2X512 to get 4GB. I was wrong about the PC2700 it is DDR3000.

G

Yes, sure. Just go to www.VoodooPC.com and select the F-Class series. Then configure a Dual AMD/Intel or a Single AMD/Intel. I believe all the motherboards have 5 slots...

Damn slow webpage. Took 30-60 secs just to get the homepage loaded. 400K homepages are terrible!

Systems sound ok, but no mention of the mobo in question. Very expensive systems. Worth buying share in that co, if they have a good turnover.

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>

eden

Champion
The guy who posted the Voodoo PC support reminds me of MoneyMike, a guy who was putting adds in these forums about them, with their ultra expensive prices.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

G

Who is Mike money? He must know what i'm talking about. Yes, I understand that they cost more it is because they have their own ISO factory and put the computers together themselves. The Web page doesn't load slow for me I am on cable. It lists all the given Configs in blue links once you click on F-Class, go down until you see the Mobo and click on it. Then click on Details.

MoneyMike

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
FINALLY! there is a human out there that supports Voodoo! Woo whoo! yes M_Dav I know that Voodoo is extra expensive because they make everything Voodoo-advanced, so it is betetr than the average product. Voodoo doesn't try to compete with 2nd rate parts that Dell and Gateway use with their cheapness. They are strictly quality.

My computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

FatBurger

Illustrious
If it makes you feel any better, you're not the first person to ever make a second account so you can agree with yourself.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
LMAO!!!! I remember that...with that Money mike character....that was the funniest day.... He's like if you want the best computer go to Voodoo.... FOr that dam price it better be the BEst....THEY Are sick on that site!

The Web page doesn't load slow for me I am on cable.
Well bully for you.

I suppose the dial-up world needs to fix their problem then, not the individual who can't design websites to suit all.

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>

Unless you're planning on overclocking you don't need past 2100 DDR, I know of the availability of 1GB modules, but you better be running WIN XP, if you think you're going to use anywhere near that much RAM, you won't run it on WIN 98 SE, or ME

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 04/14/02 01:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yes 1 GB modules in PC2100, but what about PC2700 ? I don't think there out yet!

How much memory can XP professional handle ?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
come on mike/m dav, your post is 4 min apart, you dont frequent the board enough to substantiate that kind of coincidence. grow up, just admit you got ripped off buy those but pirates!

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.