Sign in with
Your question

Major Internet Slow Downs -- AT&T DSL or my set up?

Last response: in Networking
April 16, 2012 1:37:34 AM

I have AT&T DSL (6.0mbps down and .5mbps up) and at certain times of the days things get really really slow (less than 1 mbps). It's slow on all of my computers. I called tech support and they said there was network interference on the line and they reset it. They also said the issue might be my modem -- it's a Motorolla that's about 5 years old. However, I read on a forum that others have had similar problems at certain times during the day. Is there anything I should try with home network before switching over to a cable ISP?
April 18, 2012 6:01:09 AM

mtb286 said:
I have AT&T DSL (6.0mbps down and .5mbps up) and at certain times of the days things get really really slow (less than 1 mbps). It's slow on all of my computers. I called tech support and they said there was network interference on the line and they reset it. They also said the issue might be my modem -- it's a Motorolla that's about 5 years old. However, I read on a forum that others have had similar problems at certain times during the day. Is there anything I should try with home network before switching over to a cable ISP?

Disclaimer: I hate networking, thus I can only speak from experience

Check the specks on that Motorola model. You may need to upgrade the firmware. Ensure 802.1.11N capability. Some of the older models on 802.1.11G need the updates (download, login to device, install) before they can handle the #########N technology. Some are not able to the newer technology.

Also, find the right freeware to analyze channel usage. If everybody around you is using channel 11 at 4pm you might want to try channel 6. I'm sorry I cant remember the name. Too tired. Will check back to see if you have pieced together all that.

****YOUR ISP ALWAYS SAYS IT'S YOUR ROUTER. IF IT ISN'T YOUR ROUTER, IT'S YOUR MODEM. IF IT ISN'T YOUR MODEM, IT IS YOUR COMPUTER****
m
l
April 18, 2012 3:07:30 PM

Excellent recommendations! Thank you! My modem has the latest firmware but the firmware is still a few years old. I did upgrade my router firmware but the router is pretty new so it was a minor upgrade.

My router was set to channel 6 so I changed it to channel 11 to see if that helps. My router is a DLink DIR 601 and it has a lot of admin options. One thing I noticed is that it was showing the signal connection strength at under 50%. If changing to channel 11 doesn't help, I'll try channel 1.

I googled "freeware channel analyze usage" but wasn't sure which software to try. Is there one in particular I could try?
m
l
April 20, 2012 12:55:21 PM

I've tried a few different things and the slow downs don't seem quite as bad or frequent.

Right now I have two routers hooked up (one n on channel 11, one g on channel 1). If things start to slow down, I'll switch to the other router which will help isolate if the n-band or channel is causing the problem.

I also read that Google chrome can be pretty slow to load pages at times. I went under Settings > Under the Hood and unchecked "Predict network actions to improve page load performance".

Hopefully this has fixed things but it tough to tell since it happens infrequently. Next time it happens, I'll at least switch networks and switch to a different browser to help try to pinpoint the problem.
m
l
!