Sign in with
Your question

Is there a big difference with 128 and 64mb cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2002 11:15:42 PM

I've read an article in a PC World magazine and it seems to me that the Geforce4 MX 440 beat the TI4600 except when it came to higher resolutions.. Now the MX 440 has 64mb of ram while the TI4600 doubles it... So what's the difference if you're not going to use such high resolutions?..
April 10, 2002 11:26:15 PM

lol, PC World. They test the cards with outdated games and outdated hardware. The P3 933MHz is the bottleneck. The Ti4600 destroys the MX440 in every single benchmark that is done properly. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's not just the amount of RAM but also the architecture and clockspeed that affects the overall performance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 10, 2002 11:32:30 PM

I also think the test is not done properly. Geforce TI4600 should be faster than Geforce4 MX 440.
Related resources
April 11, 2002 1:19:57 AM

Haha okay I got ya there... Even I myself kept on thinking how could that be possible.... anyways would it matter how much RAM is on a video card if your computer is already loaded with RAM itself already?
April 11, 2002 1:20:54 AM

True.... Any idea when ATI R300 card going to come out??
April 11, 2002 2:01:32 AM

About the same time the R8500 came out last year.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 11, 2002 4:07:42 AM

which was when? Are we talking bout the same product?
I'm talking bout the ATI R300 that supports directx 9.....
April 11, 2002 12:23:03 PM

Yes, I am too, about Fall 2002. No definite date has been set though, just that timeframe.

April 12, 2002 12:18:05 AM

Oh okay then. Got cha on there.
Well by having more ram on a video card does it make any difference than a card with less?
April 12, 2002 8:01:55 AM

ATI R300 card should come out in September.
Anonymous
April 12, 2002 10:45:55 PM

It might come out a little sooner than that. ATI always wants to timeframe their cards 9 months apart, though I don't know if this will actually happen or not. But I was hearing that their mobo chips and the R300 were coming out much sooner than anticipated. But ATI has made it clear that they are waiting for Microsoft's DX9 too, so again, who knows...

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.
April 13, 2002 1:11:16 AM

do you know whats a 3D texture & how its implemented eg for games ?

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
April 13, 2002 1:19:18 AM

Well when it comes out it'll be a little cheaper than the Geforce4 TI4600 right?... Waiting and not sure which one to get..
April 13, 2002 1:35:35 AM

The R300 is a newer generation card so it's price might not be comparable to the Ti4600. There will probably be a newer generation nVidia card by the time the R300 comes out.

April 13, 2002 8:20:07 PM

Alright then thanks. Well would you happen to know if ATI is better or your better off with a Geforce?...
April 13, 2002 8:33:04 PM

We don't know the R300's performance or the NV30's performance so there's no way to know which is going to be better/faster at this point. For now, nVidia has the fastest card with the Ti4600.

April 14, 2002 12:05:37 AM

Okay I see.
Well even if nVidia has the fastest card which is as you stated the Geforce4 Ti4600 what difference does it make? I mean what kind of benefits do we get out of a extremely fast video card... I mean our eyes can only see fast so there wouldn't be any glitches already... what more can you get?..
April 14, 2002 12:36:33 AM

Well, right now with just regular gaming, you don't need a Ti4600, but some people buy the TI4600 so they can turn on all the extra eye candy such as FSAA (which makes the image smooth by removing the jaggies), and Anisotropic filtering (which sharpens distance textures, making them clearer and better looking).

April 14, 2002 3:41:00 AM

haha okay then. They just want the best eh.. Exactly what I want to!..

Anyways thanks for the info... Got a major problem and just wondering if you might have any idea to fix it... check out
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...
if you have any time.. would appreciate it. thx's for all the info and help!
April 15, 2002 10:35:55 PM

Quote:
I mean what kind of benefits do we get out of a extremely fast video card... I mean our eyes can only see fast so there wouldn't be any glitches already... what more can you get?..

Well, I can give you a personal example. I'm trying to run NASCAR 2002 with the details turned way up and I keep getting slowdowns that make it hard to play properly. I can dial down the settings, but then I don't like the way the game looks anymore. So I ordered a GeForce4 Ti 4600, which should be waiting for me when I get home today from work. It should also help Dungeon Siege run a little better, since that game has also been slowing down from time to time when I play. And I'm sure Jedi Knight II will run pretty nice as well :smile:

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>
April 15, 2002 11:00:53 PM

Ok yes I understand that the higher the detail the more performance it will need. But just talking RAM wise. Lets say I have a gig of ram on my mobo already and I get a 64mb geforce4 mx440.. If the video card needed more ram to handle the graphics can't it just use direct access to my Ram on my motherboard?...
April 16, 2002 1:56:42 AM

No, I don't think it works like that. Your graphics core only uses the video RAM that's on your video card, from what I understand.

April 16, 2002 2:06:33 AM

Actually, you're wrong. That's what AGP does. It allows the AGP card direct access to system memory. The disadvantage is, AGP texturing is a lot slower than storing textures in Video RAM. This is why having more RAM on the video card is a good thing. System RAM is only a fraction of the performance of a high-speed video card's memory.

April 16, 2002 5:11:46 AM

Okay I see. So lets say I get a 128mb card would you think I'd ever have to upgrade again later?... I mean 128mb is quite a bit...
April 16, 2002 6:54:48 AM

Well, AGP is a faster pipeline than the PCI bus to the system as a whole, not just to the memory, right? The video card doesn't "steal" RAM from the system for its own use, does it? That's the point I was making. I realize that the video card is connected to the system, and therefore system RAM, via the AGP bus.

Having more memory on your video card just gives it more bandwidth, allowing it to push more data to the CPU, isn't that right?

April 16, 2002 1:03:08 PM

not for the moment.

im not even sure it exists today games which use 64Mb memory for multitexturing.

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
April 16, 2002 1:22:36 PM

Quote:
The video card doesn't "steal" RAM from the system for its own use

with this point of view, you can say yes, it does.

Quote:
Having more memory on your video card just gives it more bandwidth, allowing it to push more data to the CPU, isn't that right?

wrong, not more bandwidth but just more "space" to allow to precharge eg "big" textures for games & keep them "in" (the graphics card memory) to improve performances.

differently, the gc load/unload textures via the AGP bus & of course its less efficient. moreover graphics memory is faster than mb memory.

April 16, 2002 10:53:28 PM

Really so even a 64mb video card is more than enough if your playing games?..
April 16, 2002 11:07:34 PM

The GPU core and clock speed matter more than the amount of RAM. FYI, the GF4MX uses a different core than the GF4Ti. The GF4TI is far superior architecturally than the GF4MX.

April 17, 2002 1:50:54 AM

Oh I see. sorry but what does GPU stand for?... I'm a newbie at all so don't know too much about all this stuff..
You have any idea what the TI4600 clock speed is at?

And another quick question. Does this video card have any digital outputs??
Looking at LCD's and saw either digital and analog...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vince604 on 04/17/02 01:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 18, 2002 1:25:05 AM

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q1/020304/index.h..." target="_new">TI 4600</A>

<i>note:
you can by yourself click on the "articles search" button from the THG Homepage. :) </i>

April 18, 2002 3:37:25 AM

Thank you for the links! Reading it right now.

Oh yeah that's right. Sorry! Should've done that first!
!