Quirks about new laptop

I recently bought me a new laptop (first one actually) and so far I'm completely satisfied with my find.

I bought the Toshiba Satellite S855-S5377 and got it at a really good deal.

I'm pretty comfortable with Windows 8 but have a few concerns.

1) All of the colors on the LCD appear extremely bright no matter where I place the LCD. I use the laptop on a table that seems to be pretty easy and even has an option to tilt part of the table for better viewing. It's almost as if the screen has a washed out effect.

I first thought this might be due to a software setting in regards to the Intel 4000 chip that is installed on the computer and haven't tried an update for the driver as of yet.

That being said, what would be a typical viewing angle for this type of LCD? It's a 15.6" screen.

Is there any sort of program that can be ran to help configure the settings that I find most comfortable other than the Intel utility (which is essentially worthless)

2) I also noticed when looking over the different settings that the max resolution for this computer is 1366x768 which seemed a bit strange. This is more of a quirk than a question.

It's funny, if it was a desktop computer I would be fine but this being my first laptop it's urking me a bit.

Solution
Hi hedwar2011

Congratulations for your first laptop.

1) There is no specific angle for watching the laptop screen and you can sit as per your convenience. Since laptops are designed keeping users' comforts in mind, personally I don't think there should be a 'disciplined' way to use the device. You can adjust the brightness of the screen as per your comforts from Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options if you really think it is extremely bright.

2) You can adjust your screen resolution as per your convenience and comforts. Higher resolution is mostly preferred when playing high-end games with high graphics. If you are not comfortable with the current screen resolution, try decreasing it and make it 1280 x 768 or 1024 x 768...
Hi hedwar2011

Congratulations for your first laptop.

1) There is no specific angle for watching the laptop screen and you can sit as per your convenience. Since laptops are designed keeping users' comforts in mind, personally I don't think there should be a 'disciplined' way to use the device. You can adjust the brightness of the screen as per your comforts from Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options if you really think it is extremely bright.

2) You can adjust your screen resolution as per your convenience and comforts. Higher resolution is mostly preferred when playing high-end games with high graphics. If you are not comfortable with the current screen resolution, try decreasing it and make it 1280 x 768 or 1024 x 768. Make sure you use 768 and not 720 if your laptop has widescreen (which I am sure it has).

Hope I was of some help.

Solution