Help ! Mystery Internet Disconnect!

Good Morning,

My Dell Precision T5400 (Xeon x5460, 12GB, GTX285) with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 had a good wired Internet connection through a Belkin dual band router, then four hours later- no Internet or email.

Device Manager says the Broadcom 57xx Gigabit controller card has an up to date driver and "This device is working properly".

In Network and Sharing Center the network map shows:

Modem > Wireless Router ->X-> No Internet Access.

The other wired computer, the wireless computer, and Netflix streaming to a Blu-ray player are all working. The browsers and securities settings are all (I think) the same.

Tried the following- some multiple times>

Reboot computer
Reboot modem
Reset router
Plug into different ports
Replug to check physical connections
Directly wired modem to T5400 (bypass router)
Virus scan

As the other computers have Internet access the fault must be isolated to settings, software, or hardware on the T5400.

Network stuff always seems a little painful, but this one is really frustrating- any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

royabhi92

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

open command prompt type ipconfig /all

you will see a lot of text come up as you press enter

Scroll to the heading Local area connection if you are connecting over ethernet
otherwise check for wireless lan adapter heading....

check if you have DHCP lease
Lease obtained and lease expires will be the line you are looking for...

if you are connecting to a router(it has an inbuilt dhcp server which configures your computer to use the network) your computer must have a dhcp lease for proper internet usage..

if lease has expired, then type ipconfig/release then type ipconfig/release in the command prompt itself

if that doesnt work then goto =>

Network and sharing center, look for Change adapter settings in top left,
look for the local area connection, right click and go into properties

then open ipv4 properties and check if the obtain ip address automatically and the obtain dns server automatically is ticked or not..

i hope this helps...

do tell..

TRENDING THREADS