G

somebody can explain me which parameters i have to change to improve hdd performance?
thank you for an answer
rere

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
What parameters are you looking to change?

DMA in the BIOS? DMA in the OS?

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

I APOLOGIZE 'CAUSE DON'T EAT BREAD AND HDD EACH MORNING. I'VE JUST SEEN THAT RUNNING A BENCHMARK PROGRAMM, ALL THE PERFORMANCES OF MY COMPUTER ARE QUITE GOOD BUT THOSE ABOUT 2D GRAPHICS (I DON'T MIND) AND HARD DISK'S WRITE, READ AND RANDOM. I CARE ABOUT THIS RESULTS BECAUSE I WANT TO DO SOME EDITING VIDEO, WORK THAT NEEDS A QUITE GOOD DISK PERFORMANCE.
SAY THAT, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO IMPROVE DISK PERFORMANCE.
THANKS, ANYWAY, FOR YOUR ANSWER.
RERE

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
First thing that could impact performance is that Caps Lock key *joke*.

Anyhow, Make sure you have DMA enabled in the BIOS and the OS. Other then that nothing else should really make an impact on performance like that would. You might want to post some specifications of your hardware to. For all we know you could be running a 486 with a 200MB hard drive where you aren't going to be able to get any performance increase.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

THANKS, I'LL MADE A CHECK ON DMA BUT I THINK IT'S OK.
SPECIFICATIONS: MOTHERBOARD ABIT KR7A RAID, CPU ATHLON XP 1700+, HDD O (C) MAXTOR 20GIGA ULTRA ATA 133 (ON CONTROLLER 1 UDMA100), HDD 1 (E) (RAID 0, MADE WITH TWO OTHERS MAXTOR 133 40GIGA ON CONTROLLER 3 AND 4, 133 RAID), AGP ABIT SILURO GF3 TITANIUM 200, 768 MEGA DDR. IT SHOULD BE A MONSTER, AND ACTUALLY IT IS BUT FOR THE HDD... BOOH?
HY RERE

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think it would help if you turned that caps lock off...

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I didn't even bother to read your last two messages due to the capslock. It hurts my eyes.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>