Connect friends internet to my router using ics

gera815

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Ok so my friend lives next door to me and he gives me access to his wifi. My PC does not have a wireless card installed so what I did is I bought a tp-link USB wifi to access his router and it works perfect. I bought a belkin n300 router and I am trying to put the internet I get from his house to my router using ICS. It works but why is it that it gives me lower speeds than in my pc. Speedtest.net on my PC gets like 15mbps as to from my laptop or phone I get like 7mbps from the router and that's it

I would have opted for a router that can be used as a repeater/extender or one that can use DD-WRT like:

ASUS RT-N12 (can use DD-WRT)
Netgear WNR3500 (can use DD-WRT) or WNDR3700 (can use DD-WRT)

The DD-WRT Repeater Bridge solution will wirelessly connect to your friend and allow you to connect to your router wired or wireless.

Netgear WN2000RPT (build-in repeater/extender mode)

gera815

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Ok so lets say I buy the NetGear wn2000rpt. I am currently connecting to my friends interent through a tp-link USB wifi adapter since my desktop does not have a wireless card installed. Would I just connect the wn2000rpt using ICS or what would I have to do. Thank yoi

gera815

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
But will the nrtgear reach to my neigbors connection. The tp link that I have now connects great I just have toplace it in a certain spot to get full connection

place the Netgear in one of those spots, where you get signal with your TP, and should connect, then you can should be able to get the wireless signal in most places in your house.

if I remember it right, you should be able to connect to the Netgear wired and wireless