Laptop Constantly Sending Keystrokes

Karmavore

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardware
My laptop's keyboard appears to be broken. It constantly send keystrokes and at the sametime I cannot do any inputing. This prevents me from even going into setup menu (F2) at startup, and I cannot boot with another OS because of this.

Does anyone know how I can disable the keyboard externally? I will try deleting the keyboard driver if I can manage booting into windows.

EDIT: So I have uninstalled the driver nd bought an external keyboard. It worked perfectly. However somehow the computer installed the driver back and the problem came back. How would you stop the computer from reinstalling drivers by itself?

Best bet is to order a new one, you could take it apart and really examine it but a new laptop KB should only cost around 10-20 bucks

(if its still under warranty you could do that to, or ask them just to ship the keyboard to you if your comfortable with that kinda thing)

Edit: to disable the keyboard all together just take apart the laptop and underneath the keyboard should be a ribbon cable, simply pop up the latch and undo it (note if your thinking of doing this while its off then booting it and putting the cable back in when its on.. don't, you could very easily short something then have an expensive door stop)

There are videos on youtube, make sure its the right model # as your laptop as most of the internals/layout are vastly different.

Oh and if you aren't comfortable taking it apart take it to a shop and get an estimate (I personally wouldn't pay anythng over the cost of the keyboard + 10-20 bucks) its like a 5-10 minute job but has to be done carefully.

Karmavore

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'll add some detail: None of the key is physically stuck therefore I'm not sure removing it does anything. Also before I restarted the computer, I noticed that for example the key D is not sending D, but something else, sometime even a series of keys or macros.

I thought about picking up an actual keyboard tomorrow but I am unsure that plugging a new keyboard in would actually disable the current keyboard.

EDIT: Read it wrong. I might try pulling it apart as a last resort. I'll try looking for a less "invasive" method first. Thanks for the suggestion.

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Try taking the battery and a/c out. With both out, hold down the power button for about 45 secs. Then put a/c back in (no battery) and power it on. If it boots successfully with no probs, put battery back in. See if this helps.

Karmavore

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I tried to reset the motherboard but it did not work.