Sign in with
Your question

Best 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch

Last response: in Networking
April 16, 2012 7:13:50 PM

Hello all,

I've normally got the knack for searching through posts (or google or forums in general) to figure out what hardware to go for but this one has stumped me as they mostly seem much the same.

I need a new 8 gigabit port switch and don't know what make to go for. Cisco seems to be a top choice but I need some guidance, or rather help to make a decision! I live in the UK, I don't think many of the major products are unavailable here.

Thanks in advance

Adam
April 17, 2012 5:50:52 AM

Hey Adam,

Two brands you really can't go wrong with are Cisco, and D-Link. I personally use D-Link hardware myself and swear by it, but I have many friends who use Cisco gear and also swear by it.

I can't give you a specific model number to look for on the Cisco side, but if you decide to go D-Link, look for the DGS-1008G. I have several of these both for home and work use and have never had a problem with them. Hopefully someone else will see this and suggest something on the Cisco side as well to give you at least one other option.

Good luck!
April 17, 2012 7:54:23 AM

Thanks very much, I had looked at this model after reading about other people's setups. It is also cheaper than a cisco model of similar specs and is an added bonus, I shall purchase one of these!
April 21, 2012 6:04:30 AM

Alternate choices are the NETGEAR ProSafe GS108 and HP J9559A#ABA. Take a look at the LG-Ericsson iPECS ES-2010G if you need a managed switch.
!