Can't open Base Station Mngmnt Tool

It's completely greyed out as a selection from the menu
in the Network Utility.

Here's what's weird: It was working fine, I could access
with my password and everything. Then, somehow, I was hit
with a ton of adware/spyware, etc. and that's when
suddenly I couldn't open the Base Station Management
Tool. I see it on the menu but it's greyed out.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home. Is there something
in the configuration of the base station that allowed all
this junk to access my computer? I'm told that firewalls
don't prevent spyware/adware from downloading to your
computer.
How do you find out if ports are open?

Thanks again.

http://192.168.2.1
>(or whatever the LAN ip of your router is)?
>
>--
>Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
>Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
>"AndrewJane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>> It's completely greyed out as a selection from the menu
>> in the Network Utility.
>>
>> Here's what's weird: It was working fine, I could
access
>> with my password and everything. Then, somehow, I was
hit
>> with a ton of adware/spyware, etc. and that's when
>> suddenly I couldn't open the Base Station Management
>> Tool. I see it on the menu but it's greyed out.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>

>.

Unless you've opened - voluntarily - some pretty bad guys, you probably
don't have any ports open because the base station seals those off. Caution
is what you need to exercise to prevent these invasions. The Windows XP
Service Pack 2 will help, with an additional firewall (works well even on
LANs, so you'll have double protection) and a pop-up blocker with tighter
restrictions on what is allowed and not allowed in automatic downloads.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> Thanks, I'll try this when I get home. Is there something
> in the configuration of the base station that allowed all
> this junk to access my computer? I'm told that firewalls
> don't prevent spyware/adware from downloading to your
> computer.
> How do you find out if ports are open?
>
> Thanks again.

If you initiate the action (knowingly or unknowingly), the router's firewall
won't stop you. In general, a router won't protect you from yourself.

All it will do is prevent unsollicted connections that you (or your
computer) make from getting in unless you have explicitly allowed it in via
a port forward.

To see what port forwards you have created, goto the Base Station Management
Tool, then Security, then port forwarding.