ASUS GTX 670/Intel Z77 MOBO Incompatible?

MikahB

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Built myself a new CAD workstation at the end of December 2012, here are the specs:

Intel DZ77RE-75K Motherboard
Intel i7-3770k Processor @ 4.4GHz
ASUS GTX670-4GB Video Card
G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB RAM @ DDR3 1600
OCZ Vector 256GB System Drive
WD Velociraptor 1TB Data Drive
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
2x ACER 27" LED Monitors
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Almost immediately, I noticed strange flickering (horizontal lines across both monitors) which appeared randomly across a variety of programs. Only game I play is iRacing and it didn't seem to be an issue there, but in all my CAD apps and even in Chrome I would get it. It started out as maybe once a day for 10 seconds but after a couple weeks, seemed like it was getting more frequent and I got concerned.

So, I RMA'd the video card to ASUS and (after 5 weeks) got a brand new card which I installed. Now, in addition to the horizontal lines, the monitors just flashed randomly off and on (mostly off) about every 2 or 3 seconds which was, of course, totally unusable. At this point, I had updated my MOBO BIOS, VBIOS, all drivers, etc. with no impact on anything. Only other thing I could think to try was to move the 670 into the second PCI-E slot. And, viola - problem completely disappeared.

So, now I think I've got a bad PCI-E slot. I call up Intel, explain to them the problem and my steps and they send me a new motherboard. I installed it today, put the GTX 670 back into PCI-E 0 (closest to the processor) and - exactly the same problem!!

I'm now officially out of ideas on what the issue could be. I have never seen the monitors flicker when in BIOS setup which tells me maybe this is a Windows issue? I would REALLY hate to have to re-install Windows, but I don't want to be stuck with one unusable PCI slot either - at some point I may want to add another video card to this machine.

Any thoughts or ideas?

EDIT: Should add I've also tried removing the O/C on the processor - zero difference in any scenario.

MikahB

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Any ideas on this folks? Hardware works fine with the GTX670 in PCI-E 1, but not at all with it in PCI-E 0. Both PCI-E slots have default BIOS settings, power is the same in both cases, etc.

I have a working machine at the moment but I may want to add a 2nd video card in the future and I'm worried I won't be able to without buying a brand new MB. Any way a Windows issue could cause this - resource conflict or something?

Would love any ideas.