boldgamer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
I have a compaq presario 5000US. I will be buying 128MB of RAM and a Radeon 8500(when the price goes down a little). This will make the total amount of RAM on my system 192MB. After these upgrades what else would you recommend?

Duron 750
ATI Expert 128 16MB pci
64 MB RAM
40x CD-ROM
Integrated sound

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
just make sure that the new parts will fit and run in that Compaq, they got a reputation to build "funny" computers. I did own one a while back and had to trash it because the choices for new parts were a few Compaq high priced refurbished junk, or nothing (except ram, good old SIMM days :).

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

boldgamer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
I was wondering why it was so hard to push in new pci cards. It is an extremely tight fit in the pci slots. The AGP slots don't have this problem though.

I would look at the hard drive. Don't know your mobo's IDE speed, but if possible find out if it's 5400rpm o whatever. You could have options there.

Get a PCI sound card if sound and music is important to you. They usually are of better quality than integrated sound.

I'd also look to a new CPU eventually. All these additions will require it I reckon. Each part takes a little of your CPU. That gfx card will no doubt make your system pulsate, but I'd go looking for something faster. I'd guess your mobo has limits though, so I'd find them out.

Can you post your mobo or it's chipset?

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

boldgamer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
My motherboard is a compaq mass manufactured motherboard. I think it uses the via apollo chipset. It is upgradeable to 1.4GHZ Athlon Thunderbird. 768MB RAM. 2X/4X AGP. I only have 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP. All 3 PCI slots are full but when I get the new graphics card I will take out the old pci graphics card and my ethernet card (since I encounter less problems connecting to my broadband using my USB ports). I may even take out my modem since I will not be using it anymore. I have a hard drive that moves at a speed of 5400 rpm.

Well when you upgrade the CPU, upgrade the PSU also. A 350W supply would be sufficient.

I honestly would go for the .14 T-bird when you can. The performance differences will be excellent, and the prices of them these days are lovely. Be sure to get a decent HSF too. Search the boards. You'll find lots of threads on the 1.4 in this section I would think.

<b><font color=blue>~ Oh flower of Scotland...da da de de dum dum doo doo.~ </font color=blue></b>