Sign in with
Your question

Two wireless router network. Remote ap disconnects after a few days.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 28, 2012 6:35:17 PM

I have a home wireless network where I use 2 routers. The base router, connected to the web, is a d-link DI-524 (192.168.2.1), the remote router is a d-link DI-815 (192.168.2.2). The base router is the DHCP server to assign IP addresses. The remote has the DHCP disabled. The routers are cable connected LAN to LAN. There is a common SSID using different channels. The remote router is also connected to a ps3 and a receiver.

The system generally works.

Except that, after a day or so, the remote router becomes unavailable, with no wireless access. Additionally, the admin page becomes inaccessible. Disconnecting then reconnecting the power to the remote router is temporarily corrective until a few days later, when again, this process must be repeated.

Are there any setting changes that I could make, on the base and/or the remote router that will remedy this?

Thanks
March 30, 2012 5:36:42 PM

router27 said:
I have a home wireless network where I use 2 routers. The base router, connected to the web, is a d-link DI-524 (192.168.2.1), the remote router is a d-link DI-815 (192.168.2.2). The base router is the DHCP server to assign IP addresses. The remote has the DHCP disabled. The routers are cable connected LAN to LAN. There is a common SSID using different channels. The remote router is also connected to a ps3 and a receiver.

The system generally works.

Except that, after a day or so, the remote router becomes unavailable, with no wireless access. Additionally, the admin page becomes inaccessible. Disconnecting then reconnecting the power to the remote router is temporarily corrective until a few days later, when again, this process must be repeated.

Are there any setting changes that I could make, on the base and/or the remote router that will remedy this?

Thanks

"A day or so" makes it sound as if DHCP is having trouble renewing its lease. Have you tried configuring static addresses for the devices on the remote router? Also DHCP looks to use lower IP addressses, maybe try a static IP of 192.168.2.222
April 9, 2012 12:32:03 AM

Thanks for the response GOrdO.

No I have not configured static addresses on the remote router because it is my (limited) understanding that only the base router should assign IP addresses.
The static IP addresses for all of my hardware ranges from 192.168.222.185-199. All are on a DHCP Reservations List (the problem existed when no DHCP client was reserved).

I tried a different d-link DI-815 as the remote router - same problem.

At my place of work I set up a similar system as above using a d-link DI-815 as a remote router - no problems. (I don't remember what model the base router was. Did not do anything special/different with the base router).
!