Can't boot with both DIMMS

G

I have just received a new barebones PC with a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mobo, and two 256MB PC2700 DIMMS from Corsair.

The machine will boot up and run just fine with either one of the two DIMMS installed, but if I try to use both of them I get no video and have to do a hard reset.

I have tried using CAS latencies of 2.5 and 2 and Command rates of 1T and 2T with no change in result.

Any ideas?

I am running bios version F4
The DIMMS are Corsair CM64SD256-2700CX2H

G

I managed to get both DIMMS working by setting the SDRAM frequency to 266 instead of 333 which is the default. I am now running with 512MB 266MHZ CAS 2 CR 1T.

I thought this was supposed to be 333MHZ RAM what's the deal?

-Steve

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
odd...
and both sticks work fine at 333?

best thing i can suggest u do is contact corsair themselves, i know their website has a ram forum, ask there and u will definately get a good answer.

p.s. tried upping the ram voltage a tad?
and are u sure that both slots are ok?

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your motherboard has 3 dim slots try experimenting.

All the DDR 333 modules and motherboard currently available are experimental in than they were made before JDEC finalized the secifications. JDEC recently revised the PC2700 spec to improve stablity, but none of modules incorporating the new features are aviable yet. Hopefully when the new modules and motherboard revisions arive there will be less issues with PC2700. If I were building a system right now I would probably use PC2100 just to aviod the hassle, but then again I don't even overclock.

More memory or faster memory means a slightly bigger drain on the powersupply, so if your power supply is just adequate that might be enought to push your system over the edge.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Set the ram voltage to 3.0, trust me.

If it boots and is stable, lower the voltage to the lowest stable setting.

Have a nice day.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might want to check out Corsair's forum. It seems that you are not the only one having problems with PC2700.

Here is what their Ram Guy said.
"As for people having trouble, we did see some issues with the old XMS2700 when people moved to the new KT333 chipset, but there could be several reasons for that. That is to say that the modules were individually tested at 166MHz at CAS 2 T1 but on an KT266A board which was the only thing we had available at that time. Keep in mind that all of these new boards came out pretty much at once and everyone expected them to work right away. Truth of the matter is simply this; whenever they come out with a new chipset there are always issues, most of which need to be dealt with by the motherboard manufacturer's. "

I still think corsair makes the best PC2700 memory. This is a problem with that all memory manufacturers (except crucial which chose not to begin production until the PC2700 specification was finalized.