Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card crashing during intensive games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2013 3:53:46 AM

I've been having this issue for quite some time now. During graphics intensive games (Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3)
my system will go blackscreen, with some lagging sounds, and usually recover randomly. Also, alot of times during gaming the computer just fully freezes, sound and all and I have to reboot a few times to get it to come back on. Also, i experience lower than I should be getting FPS while playing these games. I've tried updating my graphics drivers many many times, and nothing has helped. Here are the specs on my build:

EVGA SR-2 Motherboard
2 x Intel Xeon E5620s (clocked at 3.4ghz each)
3 x EVGA GTX 670s (2gb)
Seasonic SS-1250 watt psu
2 x 24gb DDR3 RAM (24gb per CPU)

I have 2 22 inch, 1080p monitors. I have 2 GPUs SLI'd on the first monitor, and one graphics card on the other monitor. I've tried changing the order, rearranging the GPUs and the problem still exists! In game I'm only getting around 30-40 FPS!
March 10, 2013 4:04:22 AM

give me your computer, twill solve everything for you. No but really, I would try maybe using one 670 gtx, just to see if that does anything, if so there you go, but if not idk :(  just wanted to give you an answer, doesn't look like people are going to
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 4:25:21 AM

never ran across a gamer with 2 processors on board.

heat comes to mind.

sound driver conflicts. too many.

what not 1 card to run 2 monitors?

what is the other card?

m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2013 4:27:05 AM

Is your case getting lots of air because the gpu's maybe getting to hot..... you should run EVGA Precision X 4.0 and set your Fan speed to max at lower temps that what I do with my build if my GPU gets to 60 c its running full speed till it gets down to 55 c.
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:29:34 AM

complicated setup for gaming, games rarely use 4 or more cores,try taking two video cards out if don't work pull some of those useless memory sticks and try that because a lot of game engines are going to have a hard time using two memory controllers
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:32:42 AM

I'm running 3 GTX 670s. Its very strange, My case gets very good airflow. 2 of the gpu's are running at 36 as well as my CPUs. One of my GPUs is running at 60-70 (main monitor GPU)
I even tried disabling SLI and using one per monitor, and dedicating one for physx. Still getting around 30 fps.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2013 4:37:03 AM

the server doesn't lock the frames does it?
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:38:31 AM

swifty_morgan said:
the server doesn't lock the frames does it?

what do you mean by that?
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:39:18 AM

cuziamninja said:
I've been having this issue for quite some time now. During graphics intensive games (Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3)
my system will go blackscreen, with some lagging sounds, and usually recover randomly. Also, alot of times during gaming the computer just fully freezes, sound and all and I have to reboot a few times to get it to come back on. Also, i experience lower than I should be getting FPS while playing these games. I've tried updating my graphics drivers many many times, and nothing has helped. Here are the specs on my build:

EVGA SR-2 Motherboard
2 x Intel Xeon E5620s (clocked at 3.4ghz each)
3 x EVGA GTX 670s (2gb)
Seasonic SS-1250 watt psu
2 x 24gb DDR3 RAM (24gb per CPU)

I have 2 22 inch, 1080p monitors. I have 2 GPUs SLI'd on the first monitor, and one graphics card on the other monitor. I've tried changing the order, rearranging the GPUs and the problem still exists! In game I'm only getting around 30-40 FPS!

Sounds like the GPUs might be overheating, I would try 1 at a time and also try checking for dust.
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:48:08 AM

just swapped it around. Put both monitors on one card, SLI'd to another card and dedicating the last one to Physx. I launched the game and I'm getting 30-40 fps. The temp is hovering around 45-52 degrees.
m
l
March 10, 2013 5:01:46 AM

starting to think it might not be a GPU issue?

GPU at highest is getting 60 degrees Celcius, and it is never very high when it crashes.
m
l
!