toshiba 1110 vrs compaq 905

BenderLayer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
hello, im currently looking for a laptop, and i have found these 2, my first question is...is there a diff between the ati mobility radeon and teh ati radeon TM igp. and does the mobile celron perform well? the toshiba has a 1.8 mobile celron and the compaq has a amd XP 1400. i would expect that they preform about the same, these 2 notebooks are the same price, so its realy a debate between hardware, other wise they are the same, dvd, usb etc... etc..
but those are my 2 sticking points and cant figure which is better. ive never owned a compaq but i have owned a toshiba, and the toshiba is good, but im willing to try new things.but i havent heard anything good/bad from compaq...so im just lost....
thanks for the advice
:)

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
The XP 1400 will perform about the same as a mobile cleron clocked at approx 2.8gigs. True. The performance of the P4 based celeron is pathetic. They should not be legal they are so bad. I would go the compaq just for the AMD chip which wil be WAAAY faster than the celeron. Though ditto toshiba`s are sweet laptops. :) Compaq is still good though. (Got one myself never had a problem.)
AREA_51

BenderLayer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
well i found out that the radeon igp is not suppoerted at all in linux...so my options have come down even more....i would prefer the amd cpu but alas i cant locate one in canada that isnt a compaq/hp with the ati radeon igp chipset...sigh...
thanks for your advice but alas my choice has been made before i could weigh the options..

there are onlu 10 types of people in the world.
those that can read binary and those that cant!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You will find the Celeron 1.8M will smoke the old 1400 in performance and most importantly battery life. DOnt believe the BS vk2 is pushing, he is a AMD lemming blindly making FUD to discourage Intel buyers.

Toshiba and Compaq make good laptops, cannot go wrong with either.

iirc mobility radeon is newer technology

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Dont you even see toms OWN benchmarks. It shows a 3gig celeron being beaten by an old XP at 1.4gig (XP1600+). I suggest you stop embarrasing yourself and stop being so threatened by me. As I said I am not going to take your job. So I dont understand why you are so threatened of me knowing that fact. You dont need to bring your loss of the argument onto other threads. It just shows how weak and pathetic you are by trying doing that.
AREA_51

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Here you go. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020612/index.html Now that shows a duron 1.3gig can compete and beat a celeron 1.8gig on most apps. So dont try and go on about an athlon 1.4gig. All you are doing by trying to repeatedly flame me is showing the rest of the forum how weak and pathetic you really are. You need to grow up and accept when you are proven wrong.
AREA_51

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lets point out the obvious. You linked willamette celeron vs a duron <b>desktop results</b>. It is not a nortwood core nor is it a mobile CPU.

Trust me, no one is threatened by you. In fact were laughing at you.

Now stop dragging down this persons thread with your BS and stick to topics you actually know something about.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Well I obveously know more than you. There is no speed difference between willamette core and northwood as long as the cache is the same. Which I think it is on the celerons. 128K Though I might be wrong there I am not 100% sure. The only difference between willamette and northwood is size, heat dissapation and cache other than that they are pretty much the same 20 stage pipeline CPU. And I did make it fair. I put a desktop CPU againse a desktop CPU. Not as if I put a laptop CPU on low power mode against a desktop CPU. So both CPU`s will scale down at the same time. You just cant admit to being beaten. And you wouldnt flame me so much unless you were very threatened by me. Your actions are just the actions of a very frightened animal. I suggest you just leave me alone because everytime we have met so far I have come out on top.
AREA_51

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Shush you ranting moron.

<b>Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4. -vk2amv</b>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I am not the moron here. I made a statement and I backed it up. It is more than I can say for ALL of your statements. You just say things and flame people if you are wrong and they prove you wrong.
AREA_51

BenderLayer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
well thanks for the advice. but im not satisfied with the agp cards that the amd line of laptops have to offer. they are not that much cheaper in price...right now im actualy looking at a couple of differnt notebooks, the toshiba 1110, toshiba 2410, and dell 4150, btw, does anyone know if the "ati mobility radeon" is any good? can it compete with the gf2go line of agp vid for notebooks?

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Ok thats no problem. In that case I would still strongly recommend a P4 laptop over a celeron laptop. The performance difference is too great to go for the celeron. The P4 is so far out in front. Anyway in the end its up to you.
AREA_51

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=64463#64463" target="_new">You lose yet again</A>

I do agree with the P4 over a Celeron though. Better luck next time.

<b>Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4. -vk2amv</b>

BenderLayer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
i was just wondering, is it worth it to go for the radeon 9000, or just the reg nv17 32 meg? is it worth it to get the radeon 9000? either would be good, but is it worth an extra 238$?

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah I lost that subject. So what. But I dont go flaming upec like you go flaming me because I was wrong and he was right. What is going on is I proved you wrong so you start flaming me to try and make yourself feel less threatened by me. But I have proven you wrong twice now and all you try to do is flame me. You dont try and provide intelligent arguments (not even intelligent flames) or show proof on anything even. You just say stuff and are not prepared to back it up most of the time and just call me a moron when I prove you wrong with evidence to back it up. I proved you wrong in the CPU volt mod and I proved you wrong on the athlon/duron vs celeron 1.8gig AND the 2.0gig. And you just try and flame me for it. Problem is it doesnt work for you because most of us are aware of your past flaming history. upec proved me wrong on the RDRam speed but I dont go out flaming him or calling him a moron. Seems I can take being proven wrong a lot better than you. You seem to see anyone who can prove you wrong as a massive threat. As I said before I suggest you go away before you start pulling other people down to your level. We dont need your computer rookie garbage on this forum.
AREA_51

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont think so, unless you plan on playing 3D games with better frame rate.

Playing DVD and everyday use they both are equil in performance. I would go for a bigger display or faster CPU.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Look, I like Toshiba's because of their sturdy build, and high quality parts, but I would still recommend the Dell I4150 based on what you've said above. All the Mobility Radeons are better than the GF2Go's, and the M9 (Mobility Radeon 9000) is slightly superior to the GF4Go's (excluding the upcoming 4200). Unless you intend on running Graphic intensive programs or games, it is unnecessary to spend the money on the M9.

P.s. I have worked on a 1400+ AthlonXP notebook (Compaq) and a Celeron 1.7 Northwood notebook, when i benched them, the 1.7 and 1400+ were very close with the 1400+ usually ahead. The 1400+ (1.2GHz) did have better battery life even though the 1.7GHz Celeron clocks down 1.2GHz when Speedstep is employed. (I'd say go for the AMD solution if you aren't interested in 3D, otherwise go for the P4. Definitely. Stay away from the Celeron).

Dell I8200
==========
Pentium 4-m 1.7GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB
15" UXGA TFT
384MB DDR RAM
30GB HDD
8x DVD (fixed)
24x CD-R/RW (modular)

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Oh, The Celeron Northwood does have 256KB L2 Cache, but it doesn't make much of a difference, especially since it is exclusive.

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?