Sign in with
Your question

BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure

Last response: in Windows 8
February 8, 2013 9:56:32 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm having reoccurring BSOD appear notifying me of a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE in Windows 8. When the computer reboots, one of my HDD has disappeared. I'll mess around with drivers installing certain combinations which will bring the drive back to be on the subsequent boot but will get another BSOD within a day. The drive is good and passes all possible tests but it is always the same drive. I'm new to dump files and have no idea what to look for. Please Help.

Here is my minidump:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18957983/020813-70964-01.dmp

Thanks in advance!
a b \ Driver
a b * Windows 8
May 11, 2013 12:34:59 PM

Hi Phronesis,

The minidump file that you have provided shows that the error is causing due to rtwlane.sys driver file. this is a driver of Realtek wireless adapter. Can you tell me which model of this adapter you are using?

Fro the time being, try to boot the computer with Windows 8 bootable DVD support to enable legacy boot menu from command prompt. This will help to boot Windows 8 in safe mode. Once opened in safe mode, uninstall or update the device driver. To update the driver from the Internet, choose Safe mode with networking option. For further help follow the link to resolve this issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1653253/fix-driver-p...

To download latest drivers for your Realtek wireless adapter follow the link given below:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Lan...

Let me know if this helps.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
May 12, 2013 11:31:57 PM

Hello Phronesis,

Cause

This error is generated when a driver does not work when Windows changes between power modes. For example going into or coming out of hibernation or Standby.

Answer

Install the latest drivers

This issue is almost always due to a driver issue with one of the devices installed in your computer. If you've recently installed a new hardware device, such as a printer, modem, video card, etc., make sure you've got the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Disconnect external devices

Disconnect all external devices. External hardware such as USB peripherals can cause this error to happen. If no errors occur while these devices are disconnected, visit the manufacturers web site for the latest drivers or contact the hardware manufacturer for suggestions.

Verify all drivers have proper digital signatures

Out of date drivers for hardware devices, or system utilities that run in the background, such as backup software, antivirus scanners, etc., can also cause this issue to occur. To verify if your system has any of these files follow the below steps.

Click Start
In the Run line type sigverif and press enter.
This should open the Windows File Signature Verification utility that can scan for files without a digital signature.
If you need help identifying what a file is or what it's associated with enter the full file name into the Computer Hope log tool.

Disable BIOS APM

Make sure that the Advanced Power Management (APM) is disabled within CMOS setup.

Motherboard BIOS update

If none of the above suggestions have helped resolve your issue visit the motherboard manufacturers or computer manufacturers web site and see if your motherboard has any available BIOS updates.

Additional information and help with BIOS updates.
Bad hardware

Finally, if you've tried all of the above suggestions and are sure this issue is not a driver related issue, bad hardware can cause a wide variety of issues including this one. We suggest first that you test the memory in the computer to verify it's not bad. If not bad, start trying to isolate the bad hardware by doing the process of elimination.

:) 
Regards and Enjoy

Please chose this as best answer if you liked it and if it worked
m
l
!