brand or no brand???

rojover

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
Hi! Im going to buy some new mem for my incoming Asus A7v333 & xp1800. by now, i'm inclined towards 256 mb ddr pc2100(FSB 266?). pc2700 seem a bit far away for me now. My question is: The brand of the mem is really important? Before, i've always get non-brand chips and get no problem. But now im considering to buy Kingston's mem. Is a good choice? thanks folks :wink:

i'll get to Honorary Veteran, you'll see!!10600 post,a post per day,it makes...29 years... :cool:

kaps

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Rojover, I was thinking of getting Kingmax memory but saw a number of post of users not being able to boot because of memory problems and most were using Kingmax. I ordered Corsair PC 2700s instead and they booted perfectly and gave me a 25%+ increase in memory speed and the system just flys.

Karl

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Either Go with Corsair or Crucial, i have crucial, never had a problem.... You Pay More, For Better Quality, you pay cheap, you get Cheap stuff!

This Community is like a Second Family!!

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Most of the time cheap memory seems to work fine, but too often it does not. You end up unable to install your OS or you keep getting mysterious errors and you have idea what is causing the problem.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with cheap ram. The thing to remember is AMD systems are more sensitive to signal noise and most people buying memory are doing it for intel platfolms.

I have had nothing but good expericences with Crucial and Corsair. PC2700 is still a bit buggy, JDEC has just recently revised the specs to improve stablility but the revised modules have yet to reach the market. Still its not that big a risk if because you can always run it at PC2100 instead.

Also make sure you get a powersupply and heatsink that are on AMD's approved list for your CPU. Don't trust claims by the manufacturer, price or wattage.